• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Publishers: Can't beat em but wish you could

Prolixic

kickbox
I have asked this question on other forums so I'll try it here: How does one go about getting published? If the answer is get an agent, how do you do that? The whole publishing industry seems like an endless morass of distant voices all saying "We might call you later--if it suits us," and thats if you're lucky.

:confused: Anyone else get that impression? :confused:

What about "self publishing"? obarz started a thread on this a month or so ago and it created quite a lot of discussion. It's in this forum, but older than the default last 30 days view.

Darren.

Great discussion, Darren, and I'd say they pretty well plumbed the depths of the publishing industry there, but there wasn't much raw information. It seemed like poor Mr. Obarz was harangued on all sides by disaffected readers and writers. As far as my original question, "How does one go about getting published?" It seems to be similar to, "Well, where is that Holy Grail anyway?"
Most of the time people answer this question with, "Get an agent." :rolleyes: Duh. I'll just pop out back and pick a ripe one off the tree.

So where do you get agents? Do you pick them up at bars like some men do unwary maidens? What about short stories and publishing in magazines? Is it worth your time? How does one woo a prospective publisher once you have stuck it--I.e., Your Manuscript--out there? Are POD and Vanity the only choices for a snubbed author? Should that writer build his own website and wave his material around the web for all to see? Would it be easier to just sit back and let someone find your stuff after you're dead so they can bemoan your loss and enrich your children?

These and any others you can think of regarding writing and publishing are the questions I am posing to any writer on the forum be they successful, unsuccessful, hopeful or burnt-out.

Prolixic

Prolix, adj., tediously long and wordy. I try not to be, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

I was thinking about a "showcase" forum in this area where writers could post their work for critique and advice. What do you think?

I've not been registered here very long, but it seems that you have a good crew of serious readers. Quite frankly, it may prove to be an excellent tool for writers to hear what the people who actually read books in that genre think about their stuff. Personally, I'd be a bit hesitant to post publicly. Posting in a fashion that would invite qualified critique but discourage random sampling might do the trick.

That's my first impression anyway. Anyone else?

I've just opened up the new "Writers' Showcase" where writers can post their work.

Darren.

Life's too short to wait and sometimes it takes a helluva time to get things published anyway. Set up a site and go for it, I have! and I'm no genius(no comments folks).

Fortunately I've got somebody to help with the technical (Natalie, my daughter).

When you plan it, it'll happen...........When you do it, it'll really happen. How many people out there are finding it hard to take the first step?????????????

Now's your chance!

So you're talking about epublishing? POD? Pick a genre of publisher or define a new one. (Please. Did I add Please? Hope I did. ;) )

Back