• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

PUBLISHING Books

oldboy

ive been asked this question for a jobinterview and wondered what your opinions were on what makes a book well or poorly published?
Any examples that might come to mind would be great

I only have limited undersyanding of the subject.
Do you think they mean the advertising, the editing, the artwork??

hmmmm help appreciated

oldboy said:
ive been asked this question for a jobinterview and wondered what your opinions were on what makes a book well or poorly published?
Any examples that might come to mind would be great

I only have limited undersyanding of the subject.
Do you think they mean the advertising, the editing, the artwork??

hmmmm help appreciated

That's a really broad question, but I would say that a well published book a) makes money, b) keeps the author reasonably happy, and c) reaches its target market.

The means through which this is accomplished varies greatly depending on the type of book. A well-published technical book is direct-marketed before its even written, there is little advertising, the editing is crucial, the printrun is short, and the price is usually very high because the target market is very small.

A well-published trade hardcover is put out in almost the opposite order, with almost opposite principles.

But the main thing is that they make money and keep the author in the stable.

Back