• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Publishing

Nightshade

Anyone recommend and good publishers. Somewhere that isnt like seriously complicated, where you have to interview and whatver. My parents would freak if a publisher just happened to show up at our house. lol. Some places where you submit your work first, and if you get passed approval or whatever, then you talk. It would be better if work could be submitted online, cause my printer is a pain. I've bet this has been asked before, but those specific posts havent caught my eye yet..Thanx

I have just written a children's story called "Tree Life" about a boy who got a tree and wished it to come alife and talk to him and he believed in the wish coming true. Pinnochio inspired me in writing this story.

I am looking for a publisher who is interested in publishing children stories. It has pictures. I have written it in Microsoft Works 4 without pictures and Green Street Publisher 4 with pictures.

Thank you!

finding publishers

What ever you do don't go with PublishAmerica. They are a scam outfit. You can go to Preditors & Editors.com and find many good publishers there. Some will except email submissions. search out and check everyone you submit to. P& E has recomendations with their listings.

Jennifer Robins

Nightshade said:
Anyone recommend any good publishers. Somewhere that isn't like seriously complicated, where you have to interview and whatever. My parents would freak if a publisher just happened to show up at our house.

I think I would freak out if a publisher showed up at mine. I might even share my fig rolls.

Unfortunately the reality is far less exciting. Standard procedure for first-time authors is: 1) submit the first 2 or 3 chapters plus a synopsis and short covering letter, to a publisher who handles your kind of book (or preferably an agent - most publishers don't take direct submissions at all), then 2) wait, wait and wait some more. You can of course submit to lots at the same time. Some people will tell you that one ought not to do this. Nevertheless, one should.

However, 99.999% of all submissions will never be taken on. It's just too crowded a market. There are sites that can help you self-publish at low cost so you can sell copies yourself to friends, family and acquaintances. Lulu.com is one that I have used and can recommend. It is not a vanity press like PublishAmerica, it does exactly what it says on the tin: enables you to produce reasonably professional-looking books on a copy-by-copy basis; you only pay for the copies you buy, and can sell them on at a small profit if you're lucky.

Holy old thread Batman!!!!! :eek:

You guys do take note that the original question was asked almost 3 years ago right?

And the last post before Jennifer's yesterday was almost 3 years ago too.

Any way....the best thread on Publish America and other "Pay For Printing" type services, including lulu.com is at the link below, provided by our one and only Stewart.

Happy Reading: clicky this here text

Motokid said:
Holy old thread Batman!!!!! :eek:

You guys do take note that the original question was asked almost 3 years ago right?

:eek: No... and I don't look properly when emerging from junctions, neither. A metaphorical motorbike has just slammed into my wing and I may lose my artistic licence.

Look, I'm just bored, okay... no-one's posting since Manuscriptx left!

If you write fantasy, I've heard the Penguin Book group is looking for new writers.

And I know Publish America is bad because my aunt wrote a book, and they're publishing it. No publisher in their right mind would accept that work--believe me, I read it!

Hi, I'm new here (so be gently :) with me, not just because of that fact, but English isn't my first language also and I haven't found the spell-checker here yet). Found this site through a mentioning in The Times books of last Saturday.
Not sure if the topic is still 'live', but I just had my fist 'business' novel (self-) published by CPI Antony Rowe (Eastbourne). Took a bit of 'creative' thinking on the cover and the text-layout in order to get it right for converting it into a proper PDF-file, but in the end it did work and now I'm the proud owner of the first batch of my novel.
So perhaps an idea?

Back