• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Q & A with Aderyn Wood

Meadow337

Former Moderator
Hi Aderyn,

Welcome to our first author Q & A. Thanks for being brave enough to be the first to volunteer.

The concept behind this is simple - we pose a few basic questions for authors to answer as fully or simply as they like, which will hopefully get the ball rolling and open a discussion others will join in on.

It is an opportunity to let us get to know you, your book, and any other questions that might arise.

1. What have you written? (genre, titles, topics). Anything you want us to know about your book (s).

2. Why did you write it? / Why do you write?

3. Can you briefly describe your process? How do you get a book from idea to finished?

4. Any tips for aspiring writers?

5. Who inspired your style of writing?

6. Are you self-published or do you have a publisher? How was that process for you?

7. Would you agree with the statement that writers are readers first?

8. Do you write for yourself? ie do you write books you want to read?

9. What is your favourite book / author?

10. If some one had to read your book on audio tape who would you like to read it?

Meadow, thank you so much for inviting me to take part in this Q & A - although I'm not feeling particularly 'brave' ;)

I look forward to seeing Q & A's with other authors soon!

Now - to the questions:

1. What have you written? (genre, titles, topics). Anything you want us to know about your book (s).

I think the short answer to this is "I write what I want to write", which is fun while I'm writing the story but then I have to try to squeeze it into a genre or category (as this is what the market demands), and I always find this a challenge. But essentially I write fantasy, paranormal and urban fantasy. I love incorporating magic and the supernatural into my stories.

I have one book published - 'The Viscount's Son' - a paranormal fantasy. I'll be releasing a new book next month called 'The Borderlands: Journey' an urban fantasy. I'm also working on a series of novels in the epic fantasy style.

2. Why did you write it? / Why do you write?

Like most writers I grew up a dreamer. Always off in fairy land or "on another planet" as my parents used to say. These daydreams were fed by voracious reading and constant dabbling in writing. I'm still a dreamer as an adult and it is these 'stories in my head' that I love to write down and make 'real' with language. I LOVE the art of language and conveying emotions and meaning through the written word.

3. Can you briefly describe your process? How do you get a book from idea to finished?

The first step for me is that dreaming part. I might get the seed of an idea from a number of places - a real life event, another book or movie, a song, a dream, etc. The idea for 'The Borderlands' came from a man I met who had lost all of his worldly possessions after his wife suffered a gambling addiction. The only thing he had left was his houseboat, and he lived on it (illegally) moving from one town to another, wherever the lakes and rivers would take him. This 'seed' gave me the inspiration to dream up a story about a girl who goes on an adventure on a sailing boat in 'The Borderlands'.
Once I have an idea I spend A LOT of time just dreaming the story up. I often go on long walks and imagine the whole story out. So, I spend a lot of time just thinking about it before I start writing.
Then my process is similar to many writers. I outline the entire novel (not in great detail). I write draft #1. I edit. I leave it sit for a couple of months. I edit. I get it workshopped and beta read. I edit. Then it's ready for a professional editor before publishing. Phew! Sounds like a lot of work now that I write it all down!

4. Any tips for aspiring writers?

I think the best tip that I have read (can't remember where) is stop calling yourself an 'aspiring writer' and just write. You have to write every-single-day, even when it's hard. The more you write the better you get.
I'd also add to read every day. I try to write 2000 words as a minimum, and read 2000 every day.

5. Who inspired your style of writing?

Every single author I've read. But I'm particularly inspired by fantasy authors - George RR Martin, Susan Cooper, Katherine Kerr and JRR Tolkein are some. I also enjoy classics and Bram Stoker's epistolary style in 'Dracula' gave me the inspiration to write 'The Viscount's Son' as a series of blog and diary entries.

6. Are you self-published or do you have a publisher? How was that process for you?

I am proudly self-published. I enjoy the freedom and independence this process allows. It also means that, as long as I am prepared to do the work, I am guaranteed to get my books read, rather than having them waste away in a slush pile somewhere ;) There's been a lot of discussion on the changes in the publishing world and we are living in exciting times for authors and readers alike.

7. Would you agree with the statement that writers are readers first?

Absolutely! Although the more you write the more you start to read as a writer or editor. I try to get back to the art of reading as a reader as much as possible and this makes the reading experience most enjoyable.

8. Do you write for yourself? ie do you write books you want to read?

Absolutely. Great question! That's exactly what I do :)

9. What is your favourite book / author?

Difficult to answer. One of my all time favorites is 'Catch 22' by Joseph Hellor. That book had me laughing embarrassingly loud on overloaded commuter trains :rofl But, I think at the moment my favorite is the 'Song of Fire and Ice' series by George RR Martin. Martin's mastery of complex plots, subplots and character flaws and development just flabbergasts me.

10. If some one had to read your book on audio tape who would you like to read it?

I'm thinking of doing this for 'The Viscount's Son' in the future. I'd need a female narrator with a British accent - perhaps Kate Beckinsale. And a male narrator with a broody tone, something like Viggo Mortensen. I'm sure they'd both jump at the chance to narrate my book ;)

It's absolutely a pleasure. I'm hoping that this triggers a bunch of discussions.

Catch 22 is just great! As is Song of Fire and Ice - if only he would blinking well finish it!

It's going to be really interesting comparing how different authors write. I admire your self discipline on the number of words per day. Question do you find the narrative flows as well when you are writing "under the gun" as opposed to when you are in the throws of inspiration?

It's going to be really interesting comparing how different authors write. I admire your self discipline on the number of words per day. Question do you find the narrative flows as well when you are writing "under the gun" as opposed to when you are in the throws of inspiration?

I agree. I'll be checking out the other Q & A's to learn some more tips about writing.

It'd be great to have inspiration hit all of the time - but we all know it doesn't. So whether I feel like writing or not, I make myself do it. Interestingly, when I look back on my work it's impossible to know which is the the inspired part and which was the hard grind. So for me, inspiration might help with dreaming up the story but it doesn't add a lot to the quality of the writing. Although - the writing is easier and quicker when I am in the throws :)

Quality I think comes from editing, inspiration gets the story written. At least that is how I feel about it.

Back