• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Question about the Iliad?

james-88

I just finished the Iliad by Homer. It was a super great book. But isn't the Iliad supposed to have the stuff about when they build the big wooden horse to sneak into troy. Is that a different book or what. I read the robert fagles translation, and it hand nothing to do with the horse. Also, is there anouther book where the iliad leaves off, it ends before the war is even over.

Yep, the Iliad is only part of the story, the rest is in various retellings by Greek authors. Unfortunately, drawing a complete blank other than the Homeric Hymns covers some of it (I think?)

The Odyssey starts just after the war, if I remember correctly.

That's the best translation, btw.

When I was in high school, back before the computer and internet, I wrote a 125 page paper on all of the characters mentioned in the Iliad. The teacher made a copy to use for reference with future classes. I wish now I'd saved it...

BTW, I received three A's for it. :)

:rolleyes: back in junior high i read a resume that had the full history from menelaus winning helena in marriage to the fall of troy.
actually the whole history is tell in 4 books
the first one i dont know what its called and actually the full book doent exist they only have some sort of resume, it tells about menelaus getting married with helena and paris getting helenas' love as a gratitude of afrodita (i think), and the beguining of the war
the second is the iliad by homer, it starts in the 9 year of the war when achilles gets angry at agamenon until he kills hector
the 3rth book would be the aeneid by virgil, tells about the fall of troy (death of achilles too), and the history of some guy who fleet to rome after the war and his adventures
and the fourth book would be the odissey by homer, tells about ulises travel back home, and it mentions some bits about the fall of troy and the beggining or the war.

im not sure about all this, its been some time since i read this stuff, but my guess is thay youll should be looking for the aeneid ;)

just found this, should check it out, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_War
hope it may help :rolleyes:

These books you mentioned may cover complete story of the Trojan war, but they don't match to each other in some parts, there is no logical coherence between them, if you bear in mind a cultural context of them. Example: Iliad ends before the fall of Troy, but Greeks believed that
no Trojan man, from a new-born babies to old people, got out of the massacre alive. Roman Aeneid says that Eneasz run from Troy with a group of warriors.

Also, keep in mind that the Aeneid was written a long time after, by a Roman rather than a Greek author, so there's different motivations, style, etc.

Idun said:
These books you mentioned may cover complete story of the Trojan war, but they don't match to each other in some parts, there is no logical coherence between them, if you bear in mind a cultural context of them. Example: Iliad ends before the fall of Troy, but Greeks believed that
no Trojan man, from a new-born babies to old people, got out of the massacre alive. Roman Aeneid says that Eneasz run from Troy with a group of warriors.

yeah thats true, but my guess is that those books are the closer youll ever get to have the full history told, and james88 question was about why he didnt find in the ilyad any references to the trojan horse

Back