• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Question about The Joy Luck Club

maytodecember

Hello. I'm doing a project in school (summer homework for a preAP class) over the book The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan.
I'm having a problem with an interpretation question. Here's the question:
"What does the bible under the table leg in An-mei's home represent in this story?"
This is what the book says about it:
Pg. 122 1st and 2nd paragraphs,
As proof of her faith, my mother used to carry a small leatherette bible with her when she went to the First Chinese Baptist Church every Sunday. But later, after my mother lost her faith in God, that leatherette bible wound up wedged under a too-short table leg, a way for her to correct the imbalences of life. It's been there for over twenty years.
My mother pretends that bible isn't there. Whenever anyone asks her what its doing there, she says, a little too loudly, "Oh this? I forgot." But I know she see's it. My mother is not the best houskeeper in the world, and after all these years, that bible is still clean and white.

I was thinking that maybe it represents the ballace in here life? Or it is saying that when something was once important to you you can never really foget it or take it out of you'r life, it its still supporting you?
If anyone has imput I would apreciate it very much! Thanks!

You really need to think a little harder about this. It isn't all that difficult of a question, certainly easy enough for a student taking AP English. Read it, think about it and answer the question.

PS...Think about the bible more and the table less. The question isn't about the table, it is about the bible.

don't you just love it when people joing bookandreader just to ask homework questions

i agree with mehastings, but i like your opinion too. the only thing i learned from AP English is that there are multiple answers to these types of questions. they are all correct as long as you back them up with examples from the text.

most people use religion for a balance in their lives. after her son drowned, she treated the religious "relic" disrespectfully and subjecting it to the minor task of only balancing her table for her family members. would religious conservatives do the same? no, they would think that it was blasphemous. after her son drowned and she was not able to get him back from God, she basically threw away religion.

I again, and thanks for both your answers.

I hope I didn't offend anyone for joining to answer a question, I did join for other reasons. I agree that i probably needed to think harder about it, but I was interested in the opinions of others too.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Back