• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

question proofreader

Unicorn21

Hello!

I am a young author (English is not my native language though). My first novel has been published by Publish
America but I just found out that it has not been edited and proof-read
in a proper way...Also, this company does not do any promotions for
the author.

Currently I am writing on my second novel (which I´m about to finish) -
it is adventure, biographical and with a cultural background.

So what I´m looking for is a qualified proof-reader (should be from the US
and have experience with literature, esp. novels or be a writer him/herself) and also a publishing company that does the promotions for the author ?
(I didn't find it okay that my company only put my novel online and yet
there are no reader reviews and no promotion in bookstores, papers etc.)
Are there companies who do that service for young authors ? (should
be inexpensive as well)

Thank you for your help and suggestions!
kind regards
Unicorn21

To use a favourite metaphor of mine (okay, simile), your quest for a proofreader is like polishing the Ming vase while the building is falling down.

The best of luck with your book - but you seem to be slightly naive (take no offence for I mean none). PublishAmerica is a vanity publisher, it will not promote your book, advertise it or put it in bookstores. Any publisher who charges authors to publish books is to be avoided, more or less. The only exception is if you yourself are willing to do all the promotion, advertising, quality control etc, and resign yourself to the fact that you will still probably not sell very many copies.

If you cannot find a reputable 'real' publisher yet, do not despair. If you are indeed young you will get older, and as you get older (assuming you keep writing) you will get better, and then if you try long enough you may get published properly.

Sorry if I sound negative but this is meant to be an encouraging email. PublishAmerica in the end will demoralise, not encourage you.

Unicorn,

Publish America is a scam that publishes EVERY book submitted. You might want to google "Nights in Atlanta," which was a book with each chapter written as poorly as possible by a different writer. The only thing the writers had to go on was a basic list of characters. There was no plot and GLARING discrepancies in the story line. Check it out and steer clear of PA unless you like wasting money.

You'll find that promotion by publishers is scant to none, until you get up to the best-selling author category. You have to promote yourself at book fairs, conventions, signings and newspaper blurbs. It takes years to become an overnight success.:rolleyes:

As for editing, I googled and the standard rate for proofreading (without editing service) is $3 per page. I'll email you with more about this.

Take care,

JohnB

I hate to say it, but Publish America isn't very reliable. You'd probably be better off with Lulu or something else like that. I know my aunt published a book with PA, and it was terrible...the book, too, not just the business, but still.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything. I'm just saying there are a lot better choices out there if you're seriously wanting your book to get recognized.

And actually, a proofreader doesn't need a certificate that says they are qualified. You could just get an English-speaking friend to check it for you before you go to the editor, which I believe your publisher should provide, but I could be wrong. GreenKnight should know more about this than I would, because he's actually been through it all...

Back