• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Question.

Martin

I've never read a graphic novel, but now that I'm looking into Gaiman's Sandman-set, a question arose in my mind.

What exactly is a graphic novel? Is it an elaborate comic, is it an illustrated book, or is it something inbetween?

Apologies for thas rather daft question.

Cheers

Strictly speaking, a graphic novel is a medium where the story told in the form of drawn pictures, similar to a comic book. It isn't an illustrated book where you have prose and pictures thrown in. The stories is told entirely in pictures with word bubbles and text boxes.

It can refer to a collection of individual comics. The individual issues are usually collected where each collection follows a particular story arc, so that when picking up a volume there is a full story within. The Sandman by Neil Gaiman and The Watchmen by Alan Moore are examples of these, where the stories actually first appeared as individual comic books. Majority of graphic novels that people speak of refer to these, albeit it isn't entirely accurate.

The term trade paperback also refer to collections of comics in a single volume, but it's, well, in softcover.

The term graphic novel can also refer to a work done exclusively as a full story in itself. These are the 'pure' graphic novels, for example Neil Gaiman's Mr Punch, or Endless Nights.

I always say to those who are looking for something new, but don't want to read superhero stories - pick up a good graphic novel or trade paperback collection (there are plenty of people here who would point you to the right material) and immerse yourself in a medium where the stories can be as interesting and as stimulating as the novels you read. And more colorful too.

Then come here and discuss. :)

ds

Martin said:
I've never read a graphic novel, but now that I'm looking into Gaiman's Sandman-set, a question arose in my mind.

What exactly is a graphic novel? Is it an elaborate comic, is it an illustrated book, or is it something inbetween?

Apologies for thas rather daft question.

Cheers

The word "comic" doesn't suit many graphic novels at all. Take the work of Art Spiegelman, especially the Maus books, which I think are masterpieces of the literature of loss. There's really nothing comic about them. They are tragic. And yet the story is in the pictures as much as the words. They create their own graphic world, much as a movie does.

To me an illustrated book is one in which the words come first, and then the pictures portray selected scenes. In a graphic novel, on the other hand, the illustrations are central to the storytelling.

Nah, dont listen to them, its the name they give comics that make adults think its okay to read them ;) 'Dont worry dear, its not a comic, its a graphic novel!!

Just kidding :D

Phil

Back