• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Quick Book Review: Bespoke: Savile Row Ripped and Smoothed ...

speedmaster

"A man can not make love with any kind of conviction unless he is wearing a coat cut within a half mile of Piccadilly."
-- Tailor & Cutter c. 1860

I suspect that there are no "casual Fridays" at Richard Anderson Ltd, nor at Huntsman before that. ;-)

I became aware of this book (Savile Row Ripped and Smoothed by Richard Anderson) only a month ago when F.J. posted a mention of it on TimeZone. It looked interesting, but I couldn't easily find it in the U.S. online, only via Amazon U.K. F.J. was kind enough to send me his copy once he was done with it, and I'm glad he did.

Right out of the gate the book reminds me, in terms of style, approach, and subject matter of these two books:

* Bringing Home the Birkin
* The $12 Million Stuffed Shark: The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art

The story starts out w/ Mr. Richard Anderson dropping out of high school at age 16 in 1982 and becoming an errand boy at the prestigious H Huntsman & Sons on Savile Row. He was literally fetching sandwiches, tea, and schlepping bolts of cloth up and down stairs all day. Fast-forward to 2001 and he co-owns a new and prestigious Savile Row firm of his own, the eponymous Richard Anderson Ltd.

Book Details:
- Paperback: 320 pages
- Publisher: Simon & Schuster Ltd (September 3, 2009)
- ISBN-10: 1847374549

I left the full review here:
Book Review: Bespoke: Savile Row Ripped and Smoothed

Back