• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Random Quotes, Fables, Tall Tales and Proverbs…keep posting.

The Dog

The truth I do not stretch or
shove
When I state that the dog is full
of love.
I've also found, by actual test,
A wet dog is the lovingest.

-Ogden Nash

The Fly

God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.

-Ogden Nash

While the state exists there can be no freedom.
When there is freedom there will be no state.

The State and Revolution
by Vladimir Ilyich Lenin
Job endured everything – until his friends came to comfort him,
then he grew impatient.

Journal
by Soren Aabye Kierkegaard

LOL @The Fly!

"I have seen the sea when it is stormy and wild; when it is quiet and serene; when it is dark and moody. And in all its moods, I see myself." - Martin Buxbaum

The Seagull and the Kite A seagull having bolted down too large a fish, burst its deep gullet-bag and lay down on the shore to die. A Kite saw him and exclaimed: "You richly deserve your fate; for a bird of the air has no business to seek its food from the sea."
"EVERY MAN SHOULD BE CONTENT TO MIND HIS OWN BUSINESS" Aesop's Fables

And it was the touch of the imperfect upon the would-be perfect that gave the sweetness, because it was that which gave the humanity.
(Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles)

Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority. The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong. All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who have doubted the current moral values, not of men who have whooped them up and tried to enforce them. The truly civilized man is always skeptical and tolerant, in this field as in all others. His culture is based on "I am not too sure." -H.L. Mencken, writer, editor, and critic (1880-1956)

Hercules and the Carter
A carter was driving a wagon along a country lane, when the wheels sank down deep into a rut. The rustic driver, stupefied and aghast, stood looking at the wagon, and did nothing but utter loud cries to Hercules to come and help him.
Hercules, it is said, appeared and thus addressed him: “Put your shoulders to the wheels, my man. Goad on your bullocks, and never more pray to me for help, until you have done your best to help yourself, or depend upon it you will henceforth pray in vain.”
- Aesop

Hercules and the Carter
A Carter was driving a wagon loaded with a merchant’s goods, when the wheels stuck in a rut. Thereupon he began to pray to Hercules, without other exertion.
“Indolent fellow!” said Hercules; “you ask me to help you, but will not help yourself.”
So the Carter helped himself to so many of the most valuable goods that the horses easily ran away with the remainder.
- Ambrose Bierce

Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority. The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong. All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who have doubted the current moral values, not of men who have whooped them up and tried to enforce them. The truly civilized man is always skeptical and tolerant, in this field as in all others. His culture is based on "I am not too sure." -H.L. Mencken, writer, editor, and critic (1880-1956)

I think some one was confusing intolerance with moral certainty. I find that intolerance is the mark of inferiority. Moral certainty requires a lot more thought than most are willing to give it.

I think some one was confusing intolerance with moral certainty. I find that intolerance is the mark of inferiority. Moral certainty requires a lot more thought than most are willing to give it.
From what I've seen on this forum, your posts reflect that philosophy. I'm still with Mencken.

there is nothing wrong with being sure of one's carefully considered opionion. I find too few people give sufficient ratiocination to what they believe and why, nor are many capable of defending it in a reasonable fashion.

:) I think it most likely most people don't give thought to what the source of their reasoning is to begin with, or much care, as far as that goes.

I have a new favourite quote :

"Premenstrual Syndrome: Just before their periods women behave the way men do all the time"

- Robert Heinlein "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls"

Back