1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Rare & Antique Books

Discussion in 'General Book Discussion' started by Cosimah2o, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Cosimah2o

Cosimah2o Active Member

Currently Reading:
    non-fiction books
    Anyone else collect Rare books ?? Anyone else purchase Antique and Collectible books often ??
    >>> By the way, the antique and rare books have subtly different connotations .

I consider myself a pragmatic collector, that is, I collect some rare books ( first editions ) about specialized/technical subjects in different areas, that besides, were a milestone in itselfs (( very useful knowledges, btw ))
    Let's say, without realizing myself, I am collecting books about the mountaineering exploits and ski exploits ( in multiple editions and in different languages) I begun to read antique books and couldn't stop :D I guess, I carry the collectors virus

There is an essay called Why Collect Books about this strange virus that you can read in part :

Courage Sparkchaser :rofl

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Peder likes this.
  2. Peder

Peder Well-Known Member

Cosimah20
    Your post gives great comfort here. :eek:
    The collecting urge as you describe it is alive and well here, but has been restrained so far from breaking out into rare or collectible forms.
    There are quite enough books already available, thank you, that attract our attention and cry out to be added to our shelves of more books than can possibly be read in a lifetime. Or several.
    Dunno know how it happened, but I'm not complaining either.
    They are nice to have. And the reward comes in being able to select one right off the shelf when looking for something new to read.
    Thanks for the comfort.
    Much comfort to you too. :rolleyes:

And happiness,
    Peder

PS: The joy of being able to shop The Strand is a separate happiness.

Cosimah2o likes this.
  3. Cosimah2o

Cosimah2o Active Member

Currently Reading:
    non-fiction books
    Peder, thanks for the reply !! :D

4. Peder

Peder Well-Known Member

You are very welcome.
    :)

5. bougti

bougti New Member

I have Oscar Wilde's Importance Of Being Earnest (1920) and Picture Of Dorian Gray (1925), Alexandre Dumas' Count Of Monte Cristo and Stevenson's Kidnapped, both sometime in the 1940's and the second run of the original Pooh Bear book, from the 1960's.

I got all mine on ebay too [​IMG] I just happened to start looking through them one day on ebay and decided to buy some. Oscar's in particular go cheap because he's not as well know in America as say, England.

emi calculator gst login ifsc code

Cosimah2o likes this.
  6. Cosimah2o

Cosimah2o Active Member

Currently Reading:
    non-fiction books
    The same happened to me with some antique books sold in French-speaking countries inside Europe (( Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg )), or in Canada or even in Dom-tom...I found true bargains !!