• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Rate the new Potter book here

I thought that book 6 held its ground and was just as good as any other. As for comparing the books, I agree, it borders on sacrilege; but I myself like to compare which endings moved me the most to want to read the next one.

Here are my fav's accordingly: 6, 4, 5, 3, 2, 1.

I really have to re-read HBP before I can say anything about it. I still feel sorta stunned though I finished reading it some 3 months ago. I enjoyed the book very much but now I feel it wasn't that good after all. Well, it was the same thing with OotP at first. Only when I had read it for three times did I begin to like it and now I consider it as one of my favourite Potter books. I really can't say which Potter book I like the most. Usually it's the one I'm currently reading. And when I'm not reading them I just equally love and hate them all.:p I know it's not doing justice but I still wanna list my ratings best to worst:

3, 5, 4, 2, 1 (I really don't know yet where to put HBP)

Dermotjpr said:
Thats an opinion ive never heard before but i totally agree. im sick of all this comparison would u dare compare the three books of LOTR no

I disagree Dermot. you have a point; comparrison can be a negative thing, it can make us miss the qualities of one particalar thing an place of another, but The Lord Of The Rings is not Harry Potter and it is a sin to even mention their names in comparrison. No matter how popular Harry Potter is, it will never compare to Tolkien.

h_carnahan said:
POA seems to be everyones 2nd, I guess everyone needs a break from the Voldermort-is-out-to-get-me plot every now and then/

Oh, I've never thought that would be the reason why I like PoA so much but maybe it is one of them. Another good reason is Remus Lupin.:p

Fistandantilus said:
The Lord Of The Rings is not Harry Potter and it is a sin to even mention their names in comparrison. No matter how popular Harry Potter is, it will never compare to Tolkien.

I kinda agree that there is no comparison but that's not my point right now. The point is that u misunderstood Dermot's message. He meant we shouldn't compare Harry Potter books against one another but regard them as an inseparable whole - just like we can't (or at least shouldn't) regard the three books of LotR as actual separate books.

Of course you can compare the HP books - to me they are all totally seperate books with extremely different plots and varying characters. Surely you have read a series of books before and picked your favourite? And comparing LOTR books is totally different to this because LOTR is one book, just split into three, whereas HP is a series of 6 seperate books.

I do see what people mean about the end of HBP being rushed - I thought it was a bit too - but it was still an enjoyable ending I thought.

Oberon said:
And you have to rate the first book at the top or why bother reading the rest?
Just because you rate the 1st book last doesn't mean you didn't like it and want to read on, just that you didn't enjoy it as much as the rest.

Personally, I did not like HBP in the least. The writing felt shallow, the characters OOC and it really, really made me hate Tonks.

h_carnahan said:
why did it make you hate Tonks? the book revealed a whole different side of her, what was wrong with that?
Because of what that side was. Tonks goes from a self-assured, competent woman in OotP, to a whining, petulent child in HBP. And why? Because her crush doesn't wuv her! Oh boo hoo, I think I'll go squib myself because I can't handle rejection from a man.

And I refuse to believe that, if she truly loved Remus the way she claimed, she would have as her animagus and protecting spirit the monster that has caused him nothing but suffering, pain, and discrimination his entire life.

WoodenCoyote said:
Because of what that side was. Tonks goes from a self-assured, competent woman in OotP, to a whining, petulent child in HBP. And why? Because her crush doesn't wuv her! Oh boo hoo, I think I'll go squib myself because I can't handle rejection from a man.

And I refuse to believe that, if she truly loved Remus the way she claimed, she would have as her animagus and protecting spirit the monster that has caused him nothing but suffering, pain, and discrimination his entire life.

I dont think her darkness of mood was just because of Remus so I'd calm down on the "girl power." Although seemingly unrequited love can of course cause a reasonable amount of internal strife for people.

Also, that imagery simply showed that she accepted him for what he is. He himself seems to accept that side of him as part of his identity also.

RobertFKennedy said:
I dont think her darkness of mood was just because of Remus
Then why did her powers return after he appeared to have accepted her?

Also, that imagery simply showed that she accepted him for what he is. He himself seems to accept that side of him as part of his identity also.
Its horrid and insulting. She doesn't seem to know or understand him at all. Dumbledore's not dead an hour and Remus is grieving. Instead of a kind word or a supportive embrace, she grabs him by his shirt front and shakes him, demanding a return for her affections. It was selfish and childish, and absolutely the wrong time to discuss it, as Remus said.

I cannot believe it

I couldnt believe it when Dumbledore died. It was so sad. From previous discusions, I believe that most think that either one of the Weasleys, Hermione, Harry, or a Proffesor will die. Also, others unlike myself believe that Draco Malfoy as well as Proffesor Snape was acting under a curse. this to me is pure speculation.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

bookgrl92 said:
Also, others unlike myself believe that Draco Malfoy as well as Proffesor Snape was acting under a curse. this to me is pure speculation.
Yes, I'd always thought that to cast an Unforgivable, you had to mean it. You have to really want cause harm and pain to someone. Doesn't that cast Snape in a rather poor light?

i dont think they were under a curse because Voldemort treanted malfoy but snape he was working for voldermort.:)

WoodenCoyote said:
Yes, I'd always thought that to cast an Unforgivable, you had to mean it. You have to really want cause harm and pain to someone. Doesn't that cast Snape in a rather poor light?
Yes but Snape has had so much practice using that curse (at least I would imagine) that he probably didn't need to mean it as much as someone who was trying to use it for the first time.

Back