• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading Comprehension Exams

Halcyon

I’m trying to take one exam a week. I’ve got a wall chart and I’m blotting points. I hope to see an upward curve as I progress in my rigorous reading plan. My problem is – I’m going to run out of tests soon.

I’ve been taking GRE verbal tests and MCAT verbal tests. I want to replace these with something that is designed specifically for reading comprehension and that has a large test bank. Any ideas?

Those are good tests but will all have different scoring schemas thus making it hard to tell improvement from one test to another. I’m looking for just 1 exam with huge test bank designed to test reading comp.

Halcyon said:
Those are good tests but will all have different scoring schemas thus making it hard to tell improvement from one test to another. I’m looking for just 1 exam with huge test bank designed to test reading comp.

Google: reading comprehension tests and you'll get a bunch of hits. Its a popular topic.

Prolixic said:
Google: reading comprehension tests and you'll get a bunch of hits. Its a popular topic.

Popular indeed, but so unorganized :( I tried this before making this post originally. There has got to be some reading comp test out there designed for this purpose. I would be shocked if there wasn't.

hehe. why bother? I mean, fans of LOTR can make a comprehensive reading exam on LOTR, for example, a question can be "When Gandolf was born, and where? Or what was the most outrageous thing he has ever done. Or what the size of the ring? Or how come Saramen became an eye? etc..." :p Just kidding.

Actually, I thought exam like LSAT mainly test your logical thinking that kind of skill. ermm, writing review can be helpful in improving one's understanding of a book, I guess.

Sorry, did not pay attention to what you were asking. :eek:

Halcyon said:
I’m trying to take one exam a week. I’ve got a wall chart and I’m blotting points. I hope to see an upward curve as I progress in my rigorous reading plan.
So, how are you doing? Any improvement?

Is this site where you're getting the sample tests?

Ell said:
So, how are you doing? Any improvement?

Is this site where you're getting the sample tests?

January 9, 2005

Scored a 10 on MCAT practice (v. good. I am not bad reader. 70.9 – 84.4 percentile for 2004 administered exams)

January 16, 2005

Scored a 5 on MCAT practice (v. bad. I am worse reader on earth. percentile too embarrassing to disclose)

January 23, 2005
Next scheduled exam

I think I was getting used to the exam format in both cases. I'm sure after a few months it will level out and give me a more reasonable idea of my performance.

Edit: opps, didn't see your question. I was aware of the on-line test from ETS but I'm saving those because they are probably the best exams to give you the actual score you would get if you took the exam. I need to use those for when I'm close. I have the princeton review, Kaplan, and Arco exams. But like I said, I'm going to run out in about 2 months.

Just as a curiosity point, where does one get a copy of the GRE and MCAT? I'm a bit of a masochist and always loved taking tests... :rolleyes:

Back