• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading in May

rune

I know we're well through this month, but thought I would start a thread anyhow :D

What are you reading, or what have you read so far this month.

First Stone - Mark Anthony - the last book in the Last Rune Series by this author. A brilliant ending to his series :D

Trail of the Huntress - Mark Robson - 2nd book in the Darkweaver Legacy. Quite a good read, got some interesting ideas and probably would appeal to those whole like fighting fantasy like Gemmell.

Cerulean Sins by Laurell K Hamilton - 11th book in the Anita Blake series, still enjoying this series despite some books being better than others.

I'm currently reading Poison Master by Liz Williams - not sure how I feel about it at the moment.

Hiya,

Well, I caught up with my Laurell K Hamilton reading as well - have read Seduced by Moonlight and A Stroke of Midnight from her Merry Gentry series. Enjoyed them very much, and it saddens me to say that she's probably writing better in this series than in the Anita Blake series right now...

Have also whipped through all four of Jasper Fforde's books and can't recommend them enough. Starting with The Eyre Affair, then Lost in a Good Book, then The Well of Lost Plots, and then Something Rotten. These books are clever, witty, funny, exciting, romantic - I was so impressed. They would sit somewhere between Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman for me - just superb.

I am now reading Dhampir by Barb and JC Hendee. So far it's a bit meh, but I'm only 50 or so pages in, so it could improve.

And that's me for May. I have a number of excellent reads coming up on my to-read list as well: Haunted by Kelley Armstrong, and the LiveShip Trader trilogy by Robin Hobb. Good times.... :)

I have read three books this month so far.

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy - A reread, so doesn't really count.
The curious incident... - enjoyed the book.
Five people you meet in heaven - I didnt like the book at all. Good thing is it was a small book, so wasted only two days on that.

So, thats about it. 3 books, huh? Not good at all!

It's quality, not quantity ;)

I can't say much for the two others, but Hitchhikers Guide is quality of the finest. And, honestly, if you enjoyed that, you *have* to try Jasper Fforde.

I've read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Assassin's Apprentice, which I enjoyed tremendously.

Plus Trudi Canavan, but unfortunately (sorry Halo!) I didn't really enjoy.

magemanda, have you read other books by Kelley Armstrong? Her books look pretty interesting... very gothic horror stuff...

ds

I've been working on Tigana all month! Have a new baby so uninterrupted reading time has been rather scarce! I love the book so far and am sneaking reads between diapers :D

Just started Still Life With Crows by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (I highly recommend any of the "Pendergast" novels by these 2). Also reading Destiny by Elizabeth Haydon. Picked up Fools Errantby Matthew Hughes.

Reading to my kids: Whales on Stilts by M.T. Anderson, Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Colllins

pwilson said:
I've been working on Tigana all month! Have a new baby so uninterrupted reading time has been rather scarce! I love the book so far and am sneaking reads between diapers :D
A baby is miles more interesting than any book! Congratulations!!!

ds

@ direstraits - I've read all of Kelley's books so far, and I'm very impressed. Interesting plotlines and tight characterisation, with a new take on the standard werewolf legend. And now she's started branching out into more of the supernatural.

I would really recommend them. For a free taste of her writing style, check out www.kelleyarmstrong.com where she has posted a couple of novellas.

goodie! i'm very interested with the ones she's written about the witches coven. i suppose l'll check her out when l've got cash (which i don't at present).

cheers magemanda!

ds

pwilson said:
direstraits said:
A baby is miles more interesting than any book! Congratulations!!!

Thanks direstraits! You're right, he's amazing and there's never a dull moment!
I can imagine, though I'm not sure how you can even concentrate on any book in this first couple of months. I suppose you'll play with him to your heart's content, or until he cries, whichever comes first, and then pass him back to his mom. :)

ds

direstraits said:
pwilson said:
I can imagine, though I'm not sure how you can even concentrate on any book in this first couple of months. I suppose you'll play with him to your heart's content, or until he cries, whichever comes first, and then pass him back to his mom. :)

ds

Sounds like you speak from experience! For the first three weeks or so I didn't read a page! Now, it's kind of like you said. Play, rock, soothe and when all else fails, hand him over :) After he eats he usually sleeps for a while and that's when I actually (sometimes) get a chance to read. If Tigana wasn't so good, I probably would have given up by now but just....can't...stop!

I've read Shame, Brick Lane, and A.L Kennedy's 'Indelible Acts' - the short stories. Has anybody read Indelible Acts? I quite liked some of the stories, in particular A Bad Son, but overall, I thought some of them were a bit odd - they went a bit too far at times.

magemanda said:
Thats true. But, the former is lacking too, right?

magemanda said:
I can't say much for the two others, but Hitchhikers Guide is quality of the finest. And, honestly, if you enjoyed that, you *have* to try Jasper Fforde.
Really? Thanks for the recommendation, magemanda. I will certainly try that sometime.

magemanda said:

This is true.

I haven't read a single book in my life.

Certainly I browsed a few at most but read them I have not.

Currently I am peeking at Silence of the Lambs, read the Red Dragon, and then going to read Hannibal to cap the Trilogy.

After that probably back to non-fiction as I don't quite find much satifaction in fiction.

In May, I finally finished The Dark Tower by Stephen King. It was good to reach the end, but I was unsatisfied with the ending, for reasons that I have posted in the Dark Tower thread in this very forum (will someone please reply to my post? *sniff*) ;)

I'm now reading a Young Adult fantasy, The Cup of the World by John Dickinson, which I'm not enjoying at all but will see through to the end. The plot, such as it is, takes huge jumps and I'm not at all keen on the writing style.

I might read Pratchett's Hat Full of Sky next; at least I know I will enjoy that one! :)

pwilson said:
direstraits said:
Sounds like you speak from experience! For the first three weeks or so I didn't read a page! Now, it's kind of like you said. Play, rock, soothe and when all else fails, hand him over :) After he eats he usually sleeps for a while and that's when I actually (sometimes) get a chance to read. If Tigana wasn't so good, I probably would have given up by now but just....can't...stop!
Nah, I just got married, so kids yet. I said what I said coz that's pretty much my plan when my first arrives. :D Whenever that is...

Tigana gets better and better, then check out the ending that will have you mulling for sometime after you finish.

ds

In May I've read Prelude to Foundation by Isaac Asimov (Seems to be a promising series.), 5 people you meet in Heaven (I agree sanyuja, not very good.), Les Miserables - Victor Hugo (No praise needed, excellent book.)

I'm now reading Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

pwilson said:

Haven't got any children so not quite sure what they're like at that age but have you tried reading your book aloud to the baby?
Apparently the content of the books doesn't matter at that age and your voice would be soothing. Like I said, have no children but have seen stuff about this on early learning and development websites.

Anyway,
So far this month have read

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, CS Lewis. Read some of the Narnia books when I was little but never got all the way through, not really sure why but thought I should finish of the series now.

Skeleton Crew, Stephen King. A re-read but just as weird the second time through.

Sushi for Beginners, Marian Keyes

Blowfly, Patricia Cornwell

2001: A Space Oddessey, Arthur C Clarke

Sabriel, Garth Nix
Abhorsen, Garth Nix -Both rereads but was desperate to read something after my exams!

Have just bought Monday Mourning, Kathy Reichs, Prince Caspian, CS Lewis on Amazon and am awaiting their arrival -yay!

Can't wait to finish my degree and have guilt free reading time again.

Back