• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading in November

rune

So what are you all reading this month :)

I've just started Last Dragon Lord by Joanne Bertin

Still on Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, it's so good I don't want to rush thru it and leave it behind. It's hardcover and not very portable, so I also started The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey, which is as good as the rest of her stuff. I'm thinking of having a run thru Narnia, as I haven't in years.

Still on Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, it's so good I don't want to rush thru it and leave it behind.

You're actually liking it, huh? Sorry, not me. I gave up after 290 pages. Totally bored! The writing was good, and the imagery fine, but the plot was going nowhere. <shrug> Ah well, to each their own. Mine went to the library for others to peruse.

Working on "Furies of Calderon" by Jim Butcher after finishing his first series. This is the beginning of a new one, and super so far!

Cathy
Quote of the Day: BLACK HOLES -- God dividing by zero...

Just finshed Fevre Dream by George Martin.
I'm currently reading Bushido: The Way of the Samurai by Tsunetomo Yamamoto while I wait for the books I have ordered, I'm a Legend by Richard Matheson and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.

Hay

I'm thinking of starting Fannie Flagg's new book A Redbird Christmas. Its about the only thing on my shelves interesting me at the moment.

Cathy C said:
You're actually liking it, huh? Sorry, not me. I gave up after 290 pages. Totally bored! The writing was good, and the imagery fine, but the plot was going nowhere.

I can understand why you would do that, but the effort really is worth it. The prose alone makes it worth while. It's not a book that you should give thought to what's going to happen on the next page. If you're looking for a crescendo, you may not find it. But in my case I was happy riding the waves.

RaVeN

I just finished Fool's fate by Robin Hobb. It was okay, but not as good as Royal Assasin and Assasin's quest.

I'm currently reading Dragon Prince III: Sunrunners fire by Melanie Rawn. :p

What do you think of it so far?

I much prefer his normal fiction to his SF (though I thought 'Against A Dark Background' and 'Consider Phlebas' were excellent) - but thought I would give it a go.

I like it, but so far i dont think its his best SF book. I'll reserve my final judgement until i finish it though. I like both his SF books, and his normal fiction. They have many of the same qualitites. My personal favourite is Excession.

I've just finished Zelazny's Amber series and Doorways in the Sand, which is a good read if you've never read it. I'm about done with Donaldson's The Mirror of Her Dreams, which is sort of an emotional epic more than anything. Its pretty good, but I'm glad its a library book.

I've got a few non-fiction heavies on my reading table, but I'll probably start Heinlein's Friday again by the end of the month.

Almost finished Blindness by Jose Saramago. Next up is The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I've also started Antarctica by Kim Stanley Robinson, but it's not holding my attention as much as Blindness.

Glad to see you around again Prolixic :)

ell

Back