• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Real Books? eBooks? Where do you stand?

What do you prefer?

• Tangible Books

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • eBooks

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Both

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Don't reallt care either way

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I voted "both".

Physical books have a certain charm that keeps me attached to them. I like the diversity in lay-out, font, cover, etc. I like that feeling of turning a page, I like physically seeing how far I am. I also like the look of a filled book case. I like the smell of books, the feel, everything.

Electronical books are more accessible. They take up less space in your bag and they also weigh nothing. You can reorganise them more quickly as well.

I was reading the deadtree edition of The Mongoliad over the weekend and on more than one occasion found myself looking for the button so I could check the definition of a word. :innocent:

I now wonder where the hordes who flocked to 50 shades of grey would stand in this survey. Skew it a bit, might they? :confused:

I had to vote for tangible books, even while possessing a kindle. The kindle is a convenience to bring out, but I still prefer the "real" book in my hand. It isn't the smell, feel or whatever other physical aspects I've seen attributed to the dead tree variety for me. Not exactly anyhow. I suspect it is more a statement. Of what...? Well, that is difficult to pin down as well. :D

I enjoy turning the pages, seeing how far along in the book I am, not having to see the percentage. I suppose I enjoy the physical presence, the art work, the print itself of a book. It's interesting to read about the particular type that was used in the printing of the book, when it was invented and so forth.

Maybe as someone mentioned above in reference to his mother....I grew up with books, and that is what I like. :)

There is also the practical advantage of a dead tree book. When, as recently we experienced, the electric power goes off for a period of time, the battery of the kindle wears out and one is left with nothing to read!? Horrors!
;)

Back