• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Really - and I mean truly - scary Books

Herbert's The Dark has some pretty frightening scenes and is a pretty good read, except for the final chapter where it seems like he just wanted to finish it and get it to the publisher.

I loved Creed by James Herbert. I didn't find it to be too scary though. At points I thought it was going to threaten it, but for me the scares never came. It's an entertaining novel none the less.

I'd like to get into some James Herbert books. I've only read Fluke, which isn't really horror. I keep seeing Domain in the library, but haven't got around to borrowing it yet (it says it's the final book in the rodent trilogy?).

I thought Intensity was the scariest book I've ever read too. But, to be fair, I think women would probably find it more so than men.

At the time I read it, my husband was away on business for a few days, it was dark out, cold and windy, and I was all alone in the house. My reading was interrupted by a creak on the stairs.....

Well, you can probably imagine the rest! I was scared, hmmm...witless!

My teenage son, returning from an evening out, was also none too impressed with me creeping up on him with a bedside lamp in my hand!

I also found 'Whispers' by Dean R Koontz to be pretty scary, but that's mainly because of my aversion to any kind of bug.

angerball said:
I'd like to get into some James Herbert books. I've only read Fluke, which isn't really horror. I keep seeing Domain in the library, but haven't got around to borrowing it yet (it says it's the final book in the rodent trilogy?).

Yes, the first two in the series are The Rats and Lair. I've read the first and third, but not the middle, though I do have a copy of it I'll get to someday...

Back