• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Really - and I mean truly - scary Books

1. The Girl Next Door
2. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
3. Tales of the Unexpected
4. Misery
5. The Tell-Tale Heart

Hi!

You see, it's books like Misery that get me annoyed! I have already read it and it's just not scary!!! Cringing maybe ...

Thanks for your responses!

Hi!

You see, it's books like the Shining that get me annoyed! I have already read it and it's just not scary!!! Boring maybe ...

Thanks for your responses!

I would reccommend two books, both made into films with varying success:

The Ammityville Horror - Jay Anson

The Entity - Frank DeFelitta

both books are kind of creeping, especially The Entity.

It's been at least 15 years since I've read King, but Pet Cemetery IMO was scary. SPOILERS....Especially when the father wakes up in bed and thinks he was dreaming, until he steps out of bed to see his feet covered in dirt!!:eek:

One of these days I'll get into King again and will not know where to start.

I posted this in another category but if any of you could help this book would DEFINATELY make the list.

If anyone can help me track down the name of this book that I read about 12 years ago based on the description I can give you I would greatly appreciate it.
Unfortunately I do not remember the name of the book or the author but it was a novel about the very book you're reading stating that the book is cursed and takes over the minds and lives of those who it comes in to contact with. There are a few references in the book itself of a man throwing the book away and it was waiting for him when he returned home.
If I recall correctly the cover on this book was a deep red, (regular paperback book) but made to look like an almost leather cover.
This book scared me half to death when I was a teenager and I would like to track it down again.
Please help with any information you might have.
Thank you.

-D J

Another vote for 'The Exorcist' from me. Also, I agree about Pet Sematary. I read it when I was 13 or 14 and it scared the living crap out of me. I couldn't look at our cats for a while after reading it!!

If psychological 'horror' is your thing, I recently read 'Red Dragon', and I found it...creepy is probably the right word. The ending surprised me though...;)

For a supernatural scare, have you tried any of King's short stories/novellas? A few which have scared the pants off me include Graveyard Shift, The Lawnmower Man (what the hell was that about?), The Langoliers, The Sun Dog, The Library Policeman, and Jerusalem's Lot (a short story drawn from the novel 'Salem's Lot).

I loved the Library Policeman. A spooky library and a very scary librarian with No Tolerance on late books. How much better can it get?

steffee said:
Intensity by Dean Koontz, but then that's the only horror book I've ever read, so is the scariest by default. It is good though, it scared me. Quite a lot in some places. And I'm afraid I had to cheat and check the end to see that the main character was alive.
Shame on you for cheating, Steffee:D :D :D

When I read Intensity, I had to read another book along with it just to rest. It was so intense it took my breath away. I have never read another book since that did that. I passed it around at work, and was told it was really scary. When the movie came out I watched it, and it still had that same effect and was still very scary.:D

Pet Semetary was the scariest thing I have ever read. The Shining, Gerald's Game, and Dean Koontz The Taking got me too.

We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver was scary in an un-horror kind of way. Scary for a parent to read.

angerball said:
It's the true-crime books that freak me out.

A while back I read Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me about Ted Bundy, and even though I'm a guy and reasonably capable, a passage in there absolutely raised the hair on my neck. One of Bundy's victims disappeared on a college campus, walking from a fraternity house back to her sorority house (on this campus the Greek houses were all together in a quad). One of the fraternity guys was talking to her from his bedroom window, and there was a very small area from where she left his line of sight and the door to her house. But she never got to the house.

They figure Bundy was waiting in some bushes near the back door. Just sitting there for hours, waiting for a victim.

Something about that just got under my skin and scared the living hell out of me. I couldn't get to sleep for hours that night.

Otherwise, Stephen King's Salem's Lot (which is my favorite book) contains the creepiest scene I've ever read in a vampire novel. A newspaper article describes an elderly woman suffering a heart attack after she glances out her window one night and sees a stark-white face staring in at her. When I first read the book at the age of 13, that was the only scene I found frightening. When I re-read it again in college, I realized the book was full of scares, but that window scene was still the one that did it for me. Every so often when I'm in my house at night I stare at the window just to make sure there isn't a vampire out there watching me! :eek:

Fenster said:
Every so often when I'm in my house at night I stare at the window just to make sure there isn't a vampire out there watching me! :eek:

I do that every day. Seriously, I am terrible with being alone, terrified of the dark, and cupboards and stairs, and dark rooms and everything. And I've only read one horror book in my life! :rolleyes: :D

When I was at home alone, I used to check under my bed, to make sure nothing was waiting to grab me. :eek: This isn't when I was a child either - this is recently. :eek: I also can't watch scary movies alone. I have often had to pause mid-movie, and wait for someone else to come home before I finish watching the movie. :rolleyes: Pathetic! :D

Scary novels I recommend

A Haunted Man by Stuart Neild is a really scary novel if you're into the supernatural stuff. It certainly had me looking over my shoulder on a dark night. I'm looking forward to his take on Spring Heeled Jack, as this supposedly true demon scared the hell out me when I read about it as a kid. Or how about the The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty? Come to that why not dig out one of the Dennis Wheatley classic, the haunting of toby jugg anyone?

Haunted is another good scare by James Herbert. I read it while at school in the 90's and it gave me a couple of sleepless nights.

Back