• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Really bad writer's block

badlydrawngirl

I'm having really bad writer's block. I haven't written anything decent since November last year. I'm serious.

But the weird thing is, I still want to write. But I can't. Every time I put a pen in my hand to write an essay or whatever, i'm just able to write two lousy sentences then I just can't think of how to go on.

Help!

I feel like I should reply to this because a post like this deserves even a lame reply.

It sounds to me like you don't know what you want to write about. So let me give you an assignment: Write 200 words about how the color blue relates to your junior year of high school.

ooohhh...I got one...

Write 500 words on:

Why you joined The Book Forum about 7 months ago and have only posted twice, and the second post was the one novella and I just answered.

And write it here in this thread, and have it done no later than end of the business day this coming Friday, May 20th.

You will be graded on content and clarity. But I'll have to pass grading grammer on to somebody with more brains than me.

Now step to it....are you started yet?

In charge....phhtttppp!!!!

don't listen to her...she's just a big meanie

besides...who wants to take orders from a pink panther? and why should she be scared of my suggestion...is it because mine made more sence???

huh??? huh???

Hey badlydrawngirl.

I love your name and avatar. Squall rules all. :)

I often find that I get inspiration just from daydreaming. Put on your headphones, lie under the clouds, think about your life if you like. If you're anything like me you'll enter a kind of meditative state where ideas just fly around.

I also found this site which may help: Hack your way out of writer's block

pssst...novella....Amy_1984 didn't raise her hand either....what you gonna do 'bout that girlie....huh? huh?

Do me, do me!!!!.....I mean, do my idea. I wanna know why you don't come around but twice every 7 months. And if you had not had writers block (does that really exist) would you have stopped by the second time?

Don't forget the 500 words part.

Okay, then, I'll do yours and she can do mine.

WHY I JOINED THE BOOK FORUM AND ONLY POSTED 1700 TIMES

My classic navy blue Mercedes sedan broke down on the Infobahn in the wee hours of the night last year. The battery was dead. It's not true what they say about Mercedes. They actually do break down sometimes, especially in the middle of nowhere when you are down to your last pilsner and there is nothing but pretzel salt left in the bag.

The superhighway was deserted, and a cold wind howled through my ears as I stumbled blindly through the sauerkraut-smelling fog. It sounded like a seashell-ocean sound in the emptiness of my skullbone. I was somewhere like Eastern Europe except not. Perhaps it was the Ukraine. Or Poland even. I thought I could smell peirogies as well.

In the foggy darkness, my foot fell into a big damp hole. Most of the leg went in there actually. I still have the scars to prove it. The hole was large and warm, though a tad moist, with balls of hay and shredded newspapers in the corners and a kettle boiling on the hearth. I thought I saw a blue rabbit bouncing down one of the tunnels. So I stuck my head in, and then the rest of me fell in with a crash, landing face down on a very pointy bobbyburns. Ouch. I still have the scars to prove that too. Not something I will soon forget.

"Welcome to The Book Forum" it said. "What is your moniker?"

"I am Novella of the Black Socks" I replied, pulling my skirt back down to a decent position. "I, too, like to eat books, though I have found that hardcovers have a higher fiber content than paperbacks, and somewhat less sugar. But don't get me wrong. I'm no health nut."

"I am a Health Nut," said the bobbyburns. "I am on The DVD Diet, a strict regimen in which books are not allowed. Though I do have the occassional skin mag."

"Hmmm," says I. "What's that awful noise? I can't think myself hear." Indeed there was a high keening echoing through the chamber.

"Oh never mind that. It's just Martin. He nailed his head to a wall and is trying to reach the nail remover."

"Interesting . . . mind if I stay for breakfast," says I. "Those dumplings sure smell tasty."

"Those aren't dumplings, Miss Novella. That's Billy Oblivion boiling his trousers."

"Smells like chicken, though, doesn't it?" I made myself comfortable on a cushion of dry hay and gave myself a head massage.

The roar of motorcycles aroused me from my delerium. A gang of hellcats wheeled into the cubby, and bobbyburns scuttled out of sight behind the iron stove. It was The Wilde Bunch, a crew of rabble rousing romance novelists wearing Che Guevera masks. Their leader was smoking a spliff and had mascara running down her cheeks.

"Motokid, get me a tissue," she said. "Pronto."

"Here, use my hankie," he replied. "It's newly laundered."

They were one tough gang. I asked them if they had anything to eat.

"Thomas Pynchon" the leader replied.

Just the thought of a Pynchon at that hour made me queasy.

to be continued. (I'm only halfway done with the assignment, but I'm taking a tea break. Union regs.)

I'm up to the part now where I'm on a big chessboard and someone is threatening to chop my head off, but I just keep thinking about that piece of cake that said, "Eat me." I think I was betrayed by the rabbit at the teaparty.

"A cat may look at a king," said Alice. "I read that somewhere in a book."

thanks guys, I'm kinda getting over it now... what i did is i made a journal and wrote in it every day. I'm still hving a hard time writing fiction, but, oh well. :p

it's not true!! I do come here a lot, only i don't log in sometimes, i just go straight to the forums. :D

Badlydrawngirl, at least you hadn't asked the author Fay Weldon about Writer's Block. She was the guest speaker at the Annual Writers' Conference in Winchester last month. She said a writer came up to her and said: "Fay, I have reached chapter three and came up against writers' block. What should I do?"

Fay Weldon replied: "My dear, you do not have writers' block, you have finished. Have you considered taking up baking?"

Personally I find a long cycle ride or ramble up in the Welsh hills oxygenates my brain cell enough to keep those ideas stumbling along. Hope you are OK now?

Geoff

Back