• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Rebecca Skloot: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Bullyboy

I don't know if there's another discussion of this book but I found it remarkable. I picked it up by chance from the used book rack. It had been prominently displayed in the bookstores when it came out. It was also on the high school required reading list. I was curious to understand the popularity.

In a nutshell Henrietta Lacks was an African American woman who developed a rare cancer and died in 1950. Without her permission or notifying her family the doctor took cell samples from her body. Those cells became a sample identified as HeLa. They uniquely reproduced at an amazing rate, at one point basically taking over a laboratory before they were contained.

In the decades after Henrietta's death her cells became famous and samples were sent worldwide. They created vaccines and led to new developments in cancer research. A few brave reporters had approached the family only to be turned away. The author of this book persevered in learning all she could about Henrietta's life and struck up a friendship with her remaining family.

The author was able to help the family understand the significance of HeLa. At the same time she addresses the reader. For those of us who are scientifically challenged she explains simply and plainly the concept of Henrietta's immortality. It's a hard book to put down, very well written.

I believe they recently reached a settlement with the family because they took / kept the initial sample without permission and have benefited financially from it.

I hope they did, in part of the book the author takes Henrietta's family members in for a chance to look at the cells in a microscope...can you imagine seeing cells of a family member like fifty years after the fact? Not to mention how much money must have been made off of them.

Race is another theme to the book. Almost unthinkable in our PC culture but when HeLa became famous in the science and medical communities it was hushed up that they had come from an African American woman.

Back