• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

No, I haven't. There are just too many authors and too little time.
I've read about them on his site but that's the extent of it. Maybe one of these days...........

RaVeN

Took ages for amazon to deliver but:

1984 - George Orwell
Animal Farm - Ditto
The Wreck of the River of Stars - Flynn
Perdido Street Station - China Mieville
Assassin's Apprentice - Hobb

The Basque History of the World - Mark Kurlansky
Pompeii - Robert Harris
Greeks - Paul Cartledge

Oh and I got Tim Robbins "Bob Roberts" on dvd. Wrong forum, but great film nonetheless.

I went into Waterstones' yesterday intending only to find a present for my mother and buy absolutely nothing else, but I came out with The Communist Manifesto and Dune Messiah for myself. Oh, and no present, simply because I saw nothing inspiring. So much for willpower, eh?

fluffy bunny said:
Took ages for amazon to deliver but:

1984 - George Orwell
Animal Farm - Ditto
The Wreck of the River of Stars - Flynn
Perdido Street Station - China Mieville
Assassin's Apprentice - Hobb

I read Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London last year. It's nonfiction about his own experiences scrounging a living as a young man. Great insight into the restaurant biz in Europe in the 30s and street culture on both sides of the Channel at the time. Really sets the stage philosophically for his later fiction.

Ok, so the thing is that I live in norway, so I can just laugh and point at all of you guys, since norway doesn't sell any good books written in english!

Wait.

Crap :(

Well, anyway, I the last three weeks I've bought these books:

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (Haven't read it yet)
Beatles by Lars Saabye Christensen (Paperback, since I already have hardcover, and I needed a version that could fit my bookbag.)
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (Currently reading.)
Possession by A.S Byatt (God, that book sucked.)

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I read it a few months ago, but I just had to buy it. It's too good.

Somewhat, have you read "The Half Brother" by Christensen? I consider it to be much much much better than "Beatles".

I haven't bought many recently, but have managed to pick up:

Stonehenge- Bernard Cornwell
Fool's Fate- Robin Hobb
When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?- George Carlin

I hope to go on a buying binge soon!

RaVeN

It was a small, but pleasing binge. This week I bought:

Ship of Destiny- Robin Hobb
Mad Ship- Robin Hobb
Perdido Street Station- China Mieville
Kiln People- David Brin
Shadowmarch- Tad Williams

RaVeN

I just purchased at amazon:
Richard III - William Shakespeare
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Emma - Jane Austen

aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_0140714839.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_185723720X.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_0141439580.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I love buying books! :D

hey i just bought enders game too
let me know when you start it, could be an interesting experiment for the book forum, if we comment the book while we read it :)

I purchased 'Ghostwritten' by David Mitchell last week and have verily, nearily finishily completedily itily. It's DA BOMB and I would recommend it to anyone.

I just finished a little shopping spree at Daedalus. For Christmas, everyone in my little family will be getting at least two books. For myself, I bought Baudolino by Umberto Eco, The Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert and a field guide to North American birds. I bought a couple of religious books for hubby, and nearly a dozen children's books.

I'm a sucker for the Waterstone's 3 for 2 offer:

Heretic - Bernard Cornwell
In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great - Michael Wood
Rubicon - Tom Holland

I just bought war and peace.. 964 pages and the letters are really really small. Given the time I have for reading right now, its going to take a year to get through it. :rolleyes:
But I can't complain it was very cheap.

My recent buys have been:

Ship of Magic- Robin Hobb
Gardens of the Moon- Steven Eeikson
The Witches' Kitchen- Cecelia Holland
The Stone and the Flute- Hans Bemman

The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, & The Amber Spyglass- all by Phillip Pullman

ControlArmsNow said:
Heretic - Bernard Cornwell

And I'd be very interested to find how you liked this one, as I'm thinking of buying the series. Thanks,

RaVeN

Back