• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Maya said:
Really?? :D
I'd like to know what you think of it once you've read it. :)

I stumbled across this play in an amazon listmania list and thought to give it a try. I never heard of it before and the library even hasn't a regular copy of it, but it is fetured in a collection of contemporary plays along with Woody Allen, Elfriede Jelinek, Harold Pinter and Marlene Streeruwitz. Have you read it?

Picked up One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey from Oxfam this morning. One book I've always wanted to read.

Every year there's a bookfair in Deventer (half an hour by train from my house) in The Netherlands. 875 stands with used books, 6 kilometres of books. It's the biggest bookfair in Europe. Last year was my first time, today the second. Lots of rain unfortunately, and lots of people. I bought 18 books with an average of 3,90 euro per book (1-6 euro).

Dutch books:
Stephen King & Peter Straub - De Talisman
Guy Gavriel Kay - Tigana
Tad Williams - Anderland 3
Anton Koolhaas - Raadpleeg de meerval
Li Yu - Lustgebed
John Wyndham - De Triffids komen

English:
W. Somerset Maugham - The complete short stories
Storm Constantine - Hermetech
Dan Simmons - Hyperion
Dan Simmons - Song of Kali
Tom Sharpe - Wilt
David Eddings - King of the Murgos
Robert Jordan - Lord of Chaos
Piers Anthony - Ogre, Ogre
Karen Michalson - Enemy Glory
David Gemmell - Ravenheart
Michael D. Weaver - Wolfdreams
C.J. Cherryh - The Chronicles of Morgaine

I'm happy and so, so tired.....

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald Wordsworth Classic edition that cost me a grand total of $4.80.

I recently bought Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Don't start on me, there's billions of us :) )

Impressed with The Da Vinci Code I went mad in cheap bookshop The Works and purchased Dan Brown's three other 'reads':

Angels and Demons
Digital Fortress

and

Deception Point

Lemming said:
I recently bought Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Don't start on me, there's billions of us :) )

Impressed with The Da Vinci Code I went mad in cheap bookshop The Works and purchased Dan Brown's three other 'reads':

Angels and Demons
Digital Fortress

and

Deception Point

You're worried about us starting on you cause of Potter after buying three Dan Brown books? :p

Rigana said:
I stumbled across this play in an amazon listmania list and thought to give it a try. I never heard of it before and the library even hasn't a regular copy of it, but it is fetured in a collection of contemporary plays along with Woody Allen, Elfriede Jelinek, Harold Pinter and Marlene Streeruwitz. Have you read it?
Yup. I've read everything by her, which isn't much by the way (5 plays & 1 screenplay). I started a thread called "Sarah Kane", but no one seems to have heard of her, so I'm glad you stumbled across one of her plays. :)
I have read one by Pinter too; "Betrayal", which was pretty good.

Maya, I found your thread on Sarah Kane and will tell you what I think as soon as I get around to read the play.

On topic:
I got 'Mutter Courage und ihre Kinder' (Mother Courage and her children) by Bertolt Brecht from the library today.

Science Fiction Origins, an anthology that includes "The Fireman," Ray Bradbury's novella that he expanded into Fahrenheidt 451. This is very exciting to me. I'll let you know how it goes.

Our local British Council sometimes sells some of its old books when it receives new stock, and recent forays led to the purchase of Hanif Khureishi's The Buddha of Suburbia and Critchton's Timeline. This week's purchases are Umberto Eco's Baudolino and Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake.
Now all I need is ... Time!

We’ve alerted the staff to prepare the Critical Care room for a Clive Cussler-detox for you, Robert…

The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester
The Deceivers - Alfred Bester
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Lavondyss - Robert Holdstock
Dragonquest - Donita K. Paul

The last three I've bought, thanks to a gift certificate, are:
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (my first Vonnegut)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Lamb: the Gospel According to Biff by Christopher Moore

Today I bought The Melancholy Death Of Oyster Boy & Other Short Stories by Tim Burton. I also looked at other books to see what I'd get next time. :p

Back