• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Yossarian89 said:
I just bought "Life of Pi". I've heard good things and hopefully the book will live up to its expectations.
I just finished this and I found it absolutely brilliant. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :D

~Monkeycatcher~

Blackwells had Penguin Classics on 'buy one get one free'. I can't walk past an offer like that...
Mansfield Park, Jane Austen
Villette, Charlotte Bronte
Shirley, Charlotte Bronte
Bleak House, Charles Dickens
Mmmm, annotated editions (drool)

The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, Umberto Eco. Looking forward to this one.
Fury, Salman Rushdie.

Both are audiobooks.

And I've finally gotten my Wandering Fire by Guy Gavriel Kay!!! Fionavar Tapestry, here I come!

ds

direstraits said:
And I've finally gotten my Wandering Fire by Guy Gavriel Kay!!! Fionavar Tapestry, here I come!
ds
Congrats, ds! I know you've had your eye out for that one for a long time. Is Fionavar next on your list, then? All 3 are sitting on my shelf right now but once I read them I'll be curious to hear what you thought of them.

The Palace of Heavenly Pleasure by Adam Williams
Stumbled across it for next to nothing - looks like it's worth my time, so I brought it home along with...

Q by Luther Blissett
Takes place around the time Martin Luther started the reformation process in 1517 and is about controversies between Catholics and heretics - looked interesting. 'Twas part of the same offer as the other.

CDA said:
NY Trilogy - Auster.

Excellent pick.

And Coupland's (if _Eleanor Rigby_ is still his newest) is actually pretty good for a guy that only occasionally writes with a plot in mind.
j

jay said:
Excellent pick.

And Coupland's (if _Eleanor Rigby_ is still his newest) is actually pretty good for a guy that only occasionally writes with a plot in mind.
j

Yep - got Rigby. I think it's the latest out here in paperback. No - I don't really expect a plot with Coupland to be honest...

i bought the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. i saw the movie first and now half way through the book i do understand what people were talking about when they said the movie was lacking.

jenngorham said:
i bought the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. i saw the movie first and now half way through the book i do understand what people were talking about when they said the movie was lacking.

have you got the movie tie-in version, or the original?

jenngorham said:

Just seen a hardback copy in my local HMV store for £2.99

Went to B&N to browse and walked out with four books. They're small and cheap because they are part of the Collector's Library.

I came home with Mansfield Park, Descartes, Portrait of a Lady, and Thoreau.

pwilson said:
Congrats, ds! I know you've had your eye out for that one for a long time. Is Fionavar next on your list, then? All 3 are sitting on my shelf right now but once I read them I'll be curious to hear what you thought of them.
Nice hearing from you again, pwilson! Yeah, I was about to start when I accidentally picked up a hardcover of Brimstone by Preston and Child (for $6!) and accidentally read the first few pages. Uhm... tearing myself away is a little bit of a problem for me at present - maybe after Brimstone! :)

ds

Worm said:
I've bought 'The Rule Of Four' & 'Sandstorm' (Limited Edition).

I liked the sound of 'The Rule of Four' but, right or wrong, was put off by the bad reviews. Has anyone read it? What did you think?

Van Gogh: His Life and His Art, by David Sweetman. A little less romanticized than Lust for Life.

Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens. $2.40 Wordsworth Classic edition from Chapters. Won't get to it for a long while but I've got it for the day I do.

On Bullshit by Prof. Frankfurt...

I bought this because I've heard it has some interesting philosophical themes concerning our everyday culture. I was astonished by the title, though... :)

Ell said:
I just took my yearly pilgrimage to the local University Women's Club book sale and bought the following for $2 each (all hardcover, btw):
  • The First Circle - Alexander Solzhenitsyn
  • Russka - Edward Rutherford
  • The Lyre of Orpheus - Robertson Davies
  • Fall On Your Knees - Anne Marie MacDonald
  • We Were The Mulvaneys - Joyce Carol Oates
  • Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer
  • The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
  • The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
  • Kon Tiki - Thor Heyerdahl
I'm particulary happy finding Kon-Tiki, Canterbury Tales and The Day of the Triffids because they are all older hardback versions of dearly beloved favourites. Kon-Tiki, especially, was a book I read in high school that left an indelible impression on me.

There's still another day left at the sale, so I may just have to go back! :D

"The Day of the Triffids" has to be one of my all time favorites! I found a hardback a couple of years ago, and was thrilled! I wonder if anyone knows how or if I can buy a tape of the BBC series of Triffids. Not the Howard Keel version, but the one that (I think) the BBC put out some years back. I only caught a few eps of it on the PBS station here, maybe 18 or 20 years ago. I have been unable to find it anywhere.

Back