• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Don't have the title in front of me but halfway through a history of The Mahavishnu Orchestra...didn't know much about them before...have to dig up them on Youtube

I'm now reading The Infinite Sea by Jeffrey A Carver,on my Kindle,the 3rd in his excellent sci-fi series. Ordered The Darkening by Stephen M Irwin,a horror that sounds very promising. Also fancy Life After Life by Kate Atkinson.

"I Hate Myself and I Want to Die" by Tom Reynolds. For music geeks with a dark sense of humor. In light reading I love this kind of stuff. The second book is "Touch Me, I'm Sick".

For an upcoming project that I will post more about later:

The First World War by John Keegan
The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman
‘Look to Your Front’ Studies in the First World War by the British Commission for Military History
The Great War – an Illustrated History by Phil Carradice
The First World War by Hew Strachan
Killing Time – Archaeology and the first World War by Nicholas Saunders

Speaking of, errr, projects (ie. Ph.D), let me know how you get on with these. I've read the Hew Strachan one which is quite good for general information I think. :)

Downloaded Familiar by J.Robert Lennon to Kindle,and fairly certain Santa'll be tossing An Officer And A Spy by Robert Harris,The Woman In Black: Angel of Death by Martyn Waites,and Proxima by Stephen Baxter down't chimney on Crimbo Eve! :)

Library loans of The Pesthouse by Jim Crace and White Moth by Michelle Forbes,Kindle download of Sunborn by Jeffrey A Carver,and cheap on eBay A Cry In The Night by Tom Grieves.

um lets see - recent finds - a fairly comprehensive collection of George Eliot (thanks Peder for the push), a comprehensive collection of John Buchan (revisiting The 39 Steps), Film Theory and Criticism, a comprehensive collection of John Irving, the martial arts cinema of the diaspora, the minimalist photographer, field guide to mammals of southern africa, and last but not least Balzac and the Chinese Seamstress (which I have already finished - excellent!)

I am only a few pages in but your "feeling" is spot-on-accurate. Have you read it already?
nope no idea what it is even about but 'Miss Pettigrew' carries with it connotations of a middle-aged spinster possibly with a small grey dog of uncertain pedigree who is a school teacher or governess. It is one of those names that are a well known trope.

Watership Down The Illustrated Edition Boxed 1976 near mint for £4.99 in Oxfam,Durham! Also The House Of Silk by Anthony Horowitz,Butcher's Crossing by John Williams,and Revenger by Rory Clements.

John Buchan is probably my favourite author- although I actually preferred The Three Hostages and John Macnab to The 39 Steps. Either way, it looks like you have some quality reading ahead of you.

oddly neither of those were included in the books I got from Gutenberg :(

Just found this. I am familiar with the tale so this should be interesting.

47 Ronin

by Shunsui Tamenaga, James Murdoch, A. B. Mitford, Isaac Titsingh, Rutherford Alcock

“A story of honor and bloody revenge.”

The legend of the 47 ronin is one of the most popular and best known stories about the samurai in Japan. It is often referred to as the country’s “national legend” and is the most revered example of the samurai code of honor, bushido, put to the ultimate test. The story tells of a group of samurai who, in 1701, were left leaderless (becoming ronin) after their daimyo (feudal lord) Asano Naganori was compelled to commit seppuku (ritual suicide) for assaulting a court official named Kira Yoshinaka. The ronin, led by Asano’s chief councilor, Oishi Yoshio, avenged their master’s honor by killing Kira, after waiting and planning for almost two years. In turn, the ronin were themselves forced to commit seppuku for committing the crime of murder.

With much embellishment, this true story was popularized in Japanese culture as emblematic of the loyalty, sacrifice, persistence, and honor that people should preserve in their daily lives. The popularity of the almost mythical tale was enhanced by rapid modernization following the fall of the shogun during the Meiji era of Japanese history. Many versions of the events appeared and the story of the 47 ronin continues to be popular in Japan to this day.

This book traces the history of the story through various retellings. It includes the first English version to appear in print, from Isaac Titsingh’s Illustrations of Japan, published in 1822, plus the second from The Capital of the Tycoon by Rutherford Alcock. It also includes in full The Forty-Seven Ronins from Tales of Old Japan by A. B. Mitford (plus his account of seppuku/hara-kiri), The Loyal Ronins by Shunsui Tamenaga, translated by Shiuichiro Saito and Edward Greey and The Forty-Seven Ronin by James Murdoch from A History of Japan. This is a comprehensive collection which brings together some of the best known versions of the story and serves as a perfect introduction to the legendary tale of the 47 ronin.

I bought every book I read and post on here.
It is my way of supporting the authors for their hard work.
I only buy paper books, they win out on any other format by virtue of smell and texture

Back