• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I've recently purchased The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker, and which I'm currently reading.

And I've also placed an order online for two books a few days ago. I've been looking for these books in stores here but I had no luck finding them. They are Lonsesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (I'm so excited for this one!) and Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose.

I've recently purchased The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker, and which I'm currently reading.

And I've also placed an order online for two books a few days ago. I've been looking for these books in stores here but I had no luck finding them. They are Lonsesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (I'm so excited for this one!) and Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose.

You have excellent taste! I too would like to read Lonesome Dove. I had the opportunity to buy it at a book fair some time ago for pennies but didn't, and I've been kicking myself ever since. I did see the movie and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm sure the book will be a fantastic read for you. Please return to tell us how it measures up after you finish it.

You have excellent taste!

I too would like to read Lonesome Dove. I had the opportunity to buy it at a book fair some time ago for pennies but didn't, and I've been kicking myself ever since. I did see the movie and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm sure the book will be a fantastic read for you. Please return to tell us how it measures up after you finish it.

I've heard and read excellent reviews on this book and how it's considered the best Western novel of all time. So this really made me want to read it. I haven't received it yet, hopefully sometime this week, but I know that it's a big and long book. I bought it for $17.29. It would've been a real bargain if you got it at this book fair! It's a shame you didn't :(

Lonesome Dove
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lonesome Dove is a 1985 Pulitzer Prize–winning western novel written by Larry McMurtry. It is the first published book of the Lonesome Dove series, but the third installment in the series chronologically. The story focuses on the relationship of several retired Texas Rangers and their adventures driving a cattle herd from Texas to Montana.

McMurtry originally developed the tale in 1972 for a feature film entitled The Streets of Laredo (a title later used for the sequel), which would have been directed by Peter Bogdanovich and would have starred James Stewart as Augustus McCrae, John Wayne as W.F. Call, and Henry Fonda as Jake Spoon. But plans fell through when Wayne turned it down, leading Stewart to back out, and the project was eventually shelved. Ten years later McMurtry resurrected the screenplay as a full-length novel, which became a bestseller and won the 1986 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.[1]

After the novel won the Pulitzer Prize, the idea of turning the novel into film came up again. Both John Milius and John Huston each attempted to adapt the novel into a feature film before Suzanne De Passe and McMurtry decided to adapt the novel as a mini-series. It was then made into the four-part TV miniseries, which won seven Emmy Awards and was nominated for twelve others.[2] It spawned four follow-up miniseries, Return to Lonesome Dove, Streets of Laredo, Dead Man's Walk, and Comanche Moon, and two television series, Lonesome Dove: The Series and Lonesome Dove: The Outlaw Years.

I like westerns and have read tons of Zane Grey. Going to give this one a look see. Thanks.

Lonesome Dove
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lonesome Dove is a 1985 Pulitzer Prize–winning western novel written by Larry McMurtry. It is the first published book of the Lonesome Dove series, but the third installment in the series chronologically. The story focuses on the relationship of several retired Texas Rangers and their adventures driving a cattle herd from Texas to Montana.

McMurtry originally developed the tale in 1972 for a feature film entitled The Streets of Laredo (a title later used for the sequel), which would have been directed by Peter Bogdanovich and would have starred James Stewart as Augustus McCrae, John Wayne as W.F. Call, and Henry Fonda as Jake Spoon. But plans fell through when Wayne turned it down, leading Stewart to back out, and the project was eventually shelved. Ten years later McMurtry resurrected the screenplay as a full-length novel, which became a bestseller and won the 1986 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.[1]

After the novel won the Pulitzer Prize, the idea of turning the novel into film came up again. Both John Milius and John Huston each attempted to adapt the novel into a feature film before Suzanne De Passe and McMurtry decided to adapt the novel as a mini-series. It was then made into the four-part TV miniseries, which won seven Emmy Awards and was nominated for twelve others.[2] It spawned four follow-up miniseries, Return to Lonesome Dove, Streets of Laredo, Dead Man's Walk, and Comanche Moon, and two television series, Lonesome Dove: The Series and Lonesome Dove: The Outlaw Years.

I like westerns and have read tons of Zane Grey. Going to give this one a look see. Thanks.

I believe Lonesome Dove is the third book in terms of the series' plot but many have said that it can be read as a stand alone novel because it's 'complete' and apparently the best in the series.

Re Zane Grey- that's another author that I've heard a lot about but have never gotten around to reading any of his books. I might check out Riders of the Purple Sage since it's his most well known book. I don't know. Do you think this is a good book to start with?

I'd say pick one, any one and start there because he is consistently good. One thing I would say about him is that he writes morally unambiguous stories. The good guys wear white hats and the bad guys wear black and there is no grey.

Another good western author is Louis L'amour. I can also recommend J.T. Edson -> his book covers were always yellow with a black ink line drawing. And I dragged that one out of the depths of my memory LOL.

Last edited:
Meadow, your sources are indeed correct. It was a mini-series now that I recall. The last time I saw it was on VCR which had compressed the series into a full length movie ... thus I called it a "movie" when in fact it was originally a mini-series made for TV. Thanks for the correction.

Edited to add: Another great western novel which happened to be written by a woman (Edna Ferber) is Cimerron. I read it many years ago and though westerns are not my usual literary fare I recall that I enjoyed it very much.

Meadow, your sources are indeed correct. It was a mini-series now that I recall. The last time I saw it was on VCR which had compressed the series into a full length movie ... thus I called it a "movie" when in fact it was originally a mini-series made for TV. Thanks for the correction.

All thanks to Wikipedia, which apparently is in fact sometimes correct :)

The Yellow Birds by Kevin Peters
Fan by Danny Rhodes
The Silence Of The Glasshouse by Martin Malone
Prayers For The Stolen by Jennifer Clement

Jeffrey Archer set of books and best thing is at best price, Like I was looking for it many times to buy whole set of books and finally got them. Yipeeee!!!

Back