• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommend 1 COMPLETED fantasy series

I'm currently reading them for the very first time, myself. I struggled to get into the first - the writing is pretty dense and the main character deserves to be shook until he bucks his ideas up! I'm quite disappointed so far, but hoping it'll pick up. I do like the Sithi (Elves by any other name....)

Oh, and James Clemens Wit'ch series is complete and eminently readable (if you can get over the pretension of those bloody apostrophes in all his 'mystical' words!) It's fast-paced with some well-drawn characters, and a really unique form of magic. I enjoyed them enough to buy the other four books after reading the first.

i don't really know what type of author you like but i really liked the black jewels triliogy which is finished and the author has come out with a short story compilation here are the titles:
Daughter of the Blood
Heir to the Throne
Queen of the Darkness
the short stories are called Dreams Made Flesh
all by anne bishop

Since your interested in Sci-fi as well there is a alot:

If I had t orecommend one it would be Viriconium by M. John Harrison or The Book of the New Sun by Wolfe.

The Hyperion cantos - Dan Simmons
First Chronicles of Amber - Roger Zelazny
The Baroque Cycle - Neal Stephenson
Dune - Frank Herbert
Viriconium - M. John Harrison
RiverWorld - Philip Jose Farmer
EarthSea - Ursula Leguin
Farseer Trilogy - Robin Hobb
Book of the New Sun - gene Wolfe
Gormenghast - Mervyn Peake
Wizard/Knight Duology - Gene Wolfe
Nights Dawn trilogy- Peter F. Hamilton
Riddle Master - Patrica Mckillip
Dying Earth - Jack Vance
Memory, Sorrow, Thorn - Tad Williams
Dark Tower - Stephen King
Enders - Orson Scott Card
Demon Princes - Jack Vance
Fionavar Tapestry- Guy Gavriel Kay
Vorosigan - Lois Mcmaster Bujold
The Coldfire Trilogy - C.S. Friedman

fantasybookspot.com

There are some good series around that have been completed and have already been mentioned. However I would add -

The Last Rune series - Mark Anthony
The Tales of Otori by Lian Hearn
Keeper Chronicles by Tanya Huff
Orces First Blood by Stan Nicholls
The Word by Terry Brooks

jiggy said:
i'd suggest Tad Williams Memory sorrow and thorn which im currently reading, fantastic novels.
I got stuck reading the beginning of the first novel of this one. I'll return to it sometime, I suppose. My first impression was that it started very slowly, and the main character's apprenticeship is so obviously an excuse to brain dump the history of the world to the reader.

ds

I'm not a fantasy veteran, so I don't know how these compare with other series, but I would recommend The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan. I've just finished the first two books, which were excellent, and I'm about to start the last.

1. The Magicians' Guild
2. The Novice
3. The High Lord.

I would also echo others' recommendations of Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy and Lian Hearn's Tales of the Otori trilogy.

there is also a lot of forgotten realms series that are finished , ice wind dale , the cleric books, the justacar books, the avatar books, the moonshea just reprinted.

and terry brooks has his - elfstones books, not too bad.

i would read the eddings first, the belgariad is my fav.

oh yeah "her majestys wizard by c starshef is my all time fav fantasy fluff book- books. i have read this series over and over. good stuff, not terribly deep im afraid, but really great. (kinda like me) :p

fantasy series

I would recommend James Clemens's "Banned & Banished" series as well alongwith Elektra, Sellsword & Magemanda

"Oh, and James Clemens Wit'ch series is complete and eminently readable (if you can get over the pretension of those bloody apostrophes in all his 'mystical' words!) It's fast-paced with some well-drawn characters, and a really unique form of magic. I enjoyed them enough to buy the other four books after reading the first"

btw magemanda the apostrophes were never really a cause of concern as you stop noticing them after the first 50 odd pages[ atleast thats what happened with me]

so any1 whos reading this go ahead & pick wit'ch fire, the first book in the series & find out for yourself why these books are the "Banned & Banished" :D

Oponn said:
It is true, but I don't think you'll see Pennywise. Father Callahan from Salem's Lot is a major character in the fifth book, and the Crimson King drops in too.

Have you finished the series? In the 7th book:
I definitely thought that "Dandelo" was Pennywise the Clown. He called his robot "Stuttering Bill" and refused to fix the stutter. He enjoyed it the way Pennywise would.

The Witches of Eileanan

The Witches of Eileanan by Kate Forsyth is really good. Theres six books in total starting with Dragonclaw. I thought it was a really good read, and it helps that it's completed.

Sorry to drag up an old thread like this. I came across it searching for discussion on Asimov. Anyway, to the topic, a series I would recommend is The Death Gate Cycle by Weiss and Hickman. 7 books. Fantasy. And I thought it was pretty spiffy.

Nothing wrong with reviving old threads. :)

I'm currently wading through tepid waters with the Farseer Trilogy. I'll see how the third book is before spilling my guts out on this one.

ds

The Shadowleague

I think you should try Maggie Furey's Shadowleague Series, the idea behind the books is interesting and they are well written; full of emotion, action, humor and imagination.

This is great

Just barely joined and this was my exact questions (well I've read Jordan's series and stuff but need a new one). Love all the suggestions as I have always just gone to the book store and hoped I could find a new series that would deserve my attention.

Thanks a ton.

Back