• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

recommend a funny book

Five

I need to laugh. At the moment I'm ploughing my way through Ulysses, which I'm determined to finish so that I can claim to be intelligent. I need another book to read at the same time to provide some light (although not brainless) relief.

Comic books that I have already read are:

Red Dwarf (all of them)
Hitchhikers guide
Ben Elton's collected works
a few Colin Bateman books
Most Terry Pratchett books

So.. what has tickled your humour buds recently?

Right now I'm reading 'I, Lucifer' by Glen Duncan, which is fiendishly funny. Some great stuff!

Other funny stuff. Err... the 'Dirk Gently Omnibus' by Douglas Adams is very, very funny. Tom Holt is supposed to be very funny, but I don't care for him much. If you like satire, you'll like Kurt Vonnegut, but he's not laugh-out-loud-funny.

That's it, really. Oh wait, Tom Robbins is hilarious, especially 'Jitterbug Perfume', 'Still Life With Woodpecker' and 'Skinny Legs And All'.

Hope I've been of some help!

Cheers, Martin :D

I was going to say something by Terry Pratchett! Sue Townsend is pretty funny, especially the Adrian Mole series and The Queen and I, which is about what happens when the British royal family are deposed and moved into a council house to live on state benefits! I also enjoyed Round Ireland with a Fridge, which details an attempt to win a drunken bet (explained by the title). I can't remember the author, Tony someone ... :)

Tony Hawks, Tony Hawks!!! He's fantastic, although personally i preferred 'Playing the Moldovans at Tennis' to 'Round Ireland with a Fridge' (and yes, it involves another drunken bet, this time to beat all eleven of the Moldovan football team at Tennis!!). His third book 'One Hit Wonderland' is out in paperback, but ive put it somewhere and cant find it, so i only got a little way into it.

Phil

Thanks for the suggestions guys, guess I have a few reviews to read now.

Right now I'm reading 'I, Lucifer' by Glen Duncan, which is fiendishly funny. Some great stuff!
This I am tempted by, as it contains the 'F' word in the opening lines it bodes well. The worst thing are authors who try to be funny but are restrained by morality and decency.

Five originally posted:
morality and decency
Well, you won't find any of that in 'I, Lucifer'! No, kidding, but Glen Duncan is not a shy man.

I've posted some qoutes from this book on this site somewhere, namely right here.

Cheers, Martin :D

If your a fan of speculative fiction, and want to read the funniest book on earth, I recommend Night Life of Gods by Thorne Smith

I would recommend these by Dan McGirt:

Jason Cosmo
Royal Chaos
Dirty Work

They're all part of the same series and I forget exactly in which order they are supposed to be.

Terry Pratchett, definitely. My favorites are Hogfather and Carpe Jugulum.
Something a little different is The Bunny Suicides. (Not for the faint of heart!)
Also, if you do not mind a dose of cynicism, The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce is hilarious.

Back