• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

recommend an English book

Dayspring

Hello, everyone

Which English book would you recommend for a non-English-native reader? My mother language is Mandarin, and I'm searching for the books in English language, both to improve my English and to have fun. I don't mind if it is written in British English, American English, or the other types of English language. Once I can read it would be fine.

I am now reading "Jane Eyre," It is so much fun to read in old British language although my head goes a little dizzy with the book because I've crammed too many newly learned words into it. A book with a reading level similar to Jane Eyre would be good with me. Otherwise, I can be drowned in a deluge of new words that I can't enjoy the book.

thanks a lot :)

The Cricket in Times Square ~ George Selden
About a cricket and a boy, who visits a Chinese man who gives the boy a cricket cage. It's a children's book. But I would recommend it for an English learner. It is a very interesting book.

my head goes a little dizzy with the book because I've crammed too many newly learned words into it.
English isn't also my first language so I know very well how are you feeling. :)

I like to read Charles Dickens in English, though these books are usually very voluminous.
At the moment I read Jerome K. Jerome, Three Man In A Boat - very funny and not so difficult to understand.

Sometimes I read books first in my first language and then in the original language - this way of reading eases certainly the understanding and also helps me a lot to improve my English (or other language).

Thank you for the recommendations, it is really helpful for me to have these suggestions.:)

I think I am going to look for some of these books in the bookstores.

"The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame

Oscar Wilde's fairy tales... All of them! And any other books by Oscar Wilde- he is my favorite writer!

Rudyard Kipling - a book called "Kim" is supreme! His English is weird, with imitation if indian English - for this very reason I had so much fun reading it!

Back