• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommend Books to a Reading Noob.

JMovie

Here is my to read list. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A Clockwork Orange
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime
Angels and Demons
The DaVinci Code
Finish… Deception Point
Naked Lunch
The New York Trilogy
Selected Stories of Philip K. Dick
The Shining
Sick Puppy
Big Trouble
Velocity
Welcome to the Monkey House
Cat’s Cradle
And Then There Was None
Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Neuromancer
Motherless Brooklyn
Slapstick
Brave New World
Animal Farm
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick. It's a really great book along the distopian lines of Brave New World. Plus, there's a movie you can watch when you finish it (Bladerunner). It's not as good, but worth a watch.

I saw Blade Runner an loved it, should I still read the book. I would read it after all the other books though. :D

JMovie said:
I saw Blade Runner an loved it, should I still read the book. I would read it after all the other books though. :D

Yes. Read it. I guess I misunderstood your post. I thought those were books you had already read and were looking for more suggestions. Out of those books you have listed, my top three would be Animal Farm, Brave New World and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I haven't read Dick's stories, but he is a talented writer so I'm sure they'd be good.

I would read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy first, then 1984(instead of Animal Farm), and Slaughterhousefive (instead of Cat's cradle).

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is a easy read,and I finished it on several bus-rides. I mean, it doesn't take your much efforts. Am I clear? :p

The Foundation Trilogy, if you haven't already read it. Goes well with the other things on your list, anyway.

If no particular books jumps out at you randomly pick one. If it were me choosing from that list I'd start with either ACO or HHGTTG.

Back