• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommend me some books

nomadicfollower

I'm sure these threads pop up alot on this forum, but I couldn't resist. My frustration have finally reached their peak.
I haven't been able to find an author to interest me in some time. Lately I've been rereading books I enjoyed the first time. Authors like:
Kerouac
Joseph Heller - I've only read Catch-22, yet I LOVED it
Dostoevsky - everything by him is great
Orwell
Huxley - again, I've only read one of his books, Brave New World
Vonnegut - read nearly all of his
Gogol

Any authors that I might enjoy based on the ones I posted above would be MOST helpful.

Thanks,
Nomad

Try Kafka, Turgenev, Chekhov, Tolstoy, Bulgakov, Dickens, Nabokov and writing better thread titles.

You might like Ray Bradbury. I reccommend Fahrenheit 451 to everyone; it is an excellent book. You said you liked Orwell. I don't know much about Catch-22, besides what the title means, but it kinda sounds like that would be something you might enjoy.

You may enjoy Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood if you enjoyed Brave New World. The Handmaid's Tale by Atwood is also similar to 1984, so you may like to check that one out, too :)

nomadicfollower:

Kerouac: I've never been a fan of Kerouac's writing style to be honest. You could try John Fante who IMO is a more gifted but lesser known C20 American writer. ‘Ask the Dust’ is a good place to start.

Joseph Heller: Try reading some of his other books, I quite enjoyed 'God Knows'. If it's books in a similar vein to Catch-22 you want, try "The Good Soldier Sjevk" by Jaroslav Hasek, or "The Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin" by Vladimir Vionovich.

Dostoevsky: Try 'Hunger' by Knut Hamsun, and, at a stretch, Franz Kafka.

Orwell & Huxley - If it's 1984 & Brave New World you like then try 'We' by Yevgeny Zamyatin (supposedly the basis for the first half of 1984, and very close to Brave New World) and 'Darkness at Noon' by Arthur Koestler (supposedly the basis for the second half of 1984).

Vonnegut: Only read two or three by him, I’m not sure I can help really.

Gogol: If it’s the humour he works into his stories that you like try Mikhail Zoshchenko who was doing a similar thing in Soviet times or the modern day Russian equivalents Victor Erofeyev or Victor Pelevin.

Good Luck finding something,

K-S

if you liked Brave New World maybe you can try another book by Huxley, but in a different style: Point Counterpoint.

Kenny Shovel said:
nomadicfollower:

Kerouac: I've never been a fan of Kerouac's writing style to be honest. You could try John Fante who IMO is a more gifted but lesser known C20 American writer. ‘Ask the Dust’ is a good place to start.

Joseph Heller: Try reading some of his other books, I quite enjoyed 'God Knows'. If it's books in a similar vein to Catch-22 you want, try "The Good Soldier Sjevk" by Jaroslav Hasek, or "The Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin" by Vladimir Vionovich.

Dostoevsky: Try 'Hunger' by Knut Hamsun, and, at a stretch, Franz Kafka.

Orwell & Huxley - If it's 1984 & Brave New World you like then try 'We' by Yevgeny Zamyatin (supposedly the basis for the first half of 1984, and very close to Brave New World) and 'Darkness at Noon' by Arthur Koestler (supposedly the basis for the second half of 1984).

Vonnegut: Only read two or three by him, I’m not sure I can help really.

Gogol: If it’s the humour he works into his stories that you like try Mikhail Zoshchenko who was doing a similar thing in Soviet times or the modern day Russian equivalents Victor Erofeyev or Victor Pelevin.

Good Luck finding something,

K-S

Kenny, that was really nice of you to put so much work into your response. :)

MonkeyCatcher said:
You may enjoy Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood if you enjoyed Brave New World. The Handmaid's Tale by Atwood is also similar to 1984, so you may like to check that one out, too :)

I second Handmaid's Tale. Excellent!

Back