• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommendations anyone?!

Martin

Hi there,

Yes, I'm new. I hope you don't mind me barging into your forum and all, and if you do, well, pretend I'm not here... deal?

Okay, back to business now. I'm a huge fan of Douglas Adams, Tom Robbins, and Micheal Marshall Smith (just finished 'Only Forward', WOW). I was wondering if any of you can recommend some writers that somewhat resemble their brilliance. I know it's an impossible task, but please, give it a go.

Thanks in advance, and I hope to 'talk' to some of you soon.

See'ya

Gee, you guys really know how to make a newby feel welcome, I mean, look at all the response!!

Won't anyone reply... come on!

Sorry Martin, can't help as i've never read any of their books.

But hello anyway, and welcome to the forum!

Hard to beat Douglas Adams. For good stories with a touch of humor try Roger Zelaznys Amber series. Um...I've not read those other two guys but I always recommend Robert Heinlein's earlier stuff and Greg Bear is a dandy too.

Good hunting!

How about Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth?

Read it, you'll enjoy it.

It isn't as fantastic as Adams or Robbins, but it is just as irreverent and funny.

Thanks guys...

I'll be sure to check out all the people you recommend, even though Prolixic is right, Douglas Adams is hard to beat (anyone who hasn't read anything by him, DO IT NOW).

So, to sum up, you guys recommend Roger Zelazny, Robert Heinlein, Greg Bear and Philip Roth. Any more suggestions?!

Ooh, and by the way, I just reread my second post in this thread, and I'm wasn't nearly as bitter as I sounded in that post, so apologies for that where needed.

Yours, Martin

Martin, Can you give us more details about the kind of books the authors you mention are about.

A synopsis from each book would be great.

Perhaps this is something that all members should think about. After all, a list of authors and their books means nothing if we have not heard of them.

How do you choose a good fiction book to read? I go for a book from the same author as that of a book that I have previously read, or I read the synopsis on the front cover before purchasing it.

So fellow members, what do you think about providing a synopsis of every book that you mention?

Similar to Douglas Adams

Martin,

I recently read The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett. It's the first book in his Discworld series and has a similar, wierd, off-the-wall kind of humour as Adams' books. (IMHO, not as good as Adams, but worth trying.)

Ell

The Disc World series by Terry Pratchet is good BUT if you want a REALLY REALLY funny read try A Malady of Magicks by Craig Shaw Gardner...his other two books in this trilogy are A Multitude of Monsters and A Night in the Netherland...

It is halrious. Some of the characters that appear are like the Seven Other Drawves..and magician that's allergic to magic. I'm sure you'll really enjoy those books

Back