• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommendations for a Gormenghast fan?

Oubliette

Hi,
I know there's nothing else like Gormenghast, but I'm wondering what books other Peake fans enjoy and would classify as at least slightly similar or on a par with Gormenghast.

I'm looking for something with at least some of the following:

- A fantastic or surreal element
- A gothic element
- Genrebending aspects
- Flawed, disabled, evil or bizarre main character(s)
- Dark comedy or satire
- Challenging Not a must, but it would be a plus if it challenges the reader in terms of its themes, vocabulary or length (I'm an English student from Denmark, so I try to find books that will make me a better reader :) )

A few authors that I love and would put in this category are: Angela Carter, Shirley Jackson, Oscar Wilde, Nicola Barker (though I haven't read much by her yet), Gene Wolfe and Patrick McGrath.

Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions!

You might like, Pfitz, by Andrew Crumey. I think it has a little similarity to Gormenghast, but it is hard to explain why, they just felt the same I guess.

An eighteenth-century prince devotes his entire wealth and the energy of his subjects to the creation of Rreinnstadt, a fantastic city that exists only on paper and in the minds of its creators. Among Rreinnstadt's fictional inhabitants is Pfitz, a count's loyal servant who mysteriously disappears one night from a tavern. Andrew Crumey's exploration of the rich territory between reality and fantasy reveals a genuine affection for character and the terrain of the human heart."

might have a look for that as well thanks.. i loved Gormenghast... did you watch the tv mini series with Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Steerpike? lots of good actors in it, loved it too. :)

Back