• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommendations for fiance?

Wells83

It's his birthday next month and I'm always trying to give him books as gifts. Thing is, he's not much of a reader at this point. He's busy with school reading and other homework much of the time, so there's not much of a foundation for reading for pleasure. I have very little to draw from.

He did really love The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, which, although not my cup of tea, I'm thankful he found something he enjoys. Currently he's reading A General History of the United States but he's lost interest, partially due to schoolwork.

He's a bartender and he's also a musician. He plays the piano, drums, and guitar. Some of the musicians he likes are Metallica, Eric Clapton, Guns'nRoses, Led Zepplin, and Billy Joel. I was thinking Clapton: The Autobiography, by Eric Clapton would be a good choice.

I almost hate to mention this(well actually I do loathe to mention this) but Tucker Max's I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell he might enjoy.

Chuck Palahniuk is a safe bet for men too. Fight Club, Choke, and Survivor are favorites.

Why are you trying to get him a book if he doesn't like to read?

Anyway, if he liked Dan Brown, maybe he'd like Stephen King, or Dean Koontz, or someone like that. Maybe one of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt books?

Probably a fairly useless suggestion, but he sounds very much like my boyfriend (hardly ever reads, musician, same bands etc) and the only books he has ever really seemed to enjoy are The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice and Dracula, Bram Stoker. Alternativly, how about something by Neil Gaiman? Maybe Smoke and Mirrors, which is my favourite Gaiman book and is a collection of short stories, so could perhaps get round the having no time to read thing?

Why are you trying to get him a book if he doesn't like to read?

He loved Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code. I think it's more of an issue of finding what he likes.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll definitely be looking into them.

Maybe a G/C for Borders. They have books AND Music and they have books ABOUT music.....let it be his choice.:D

Back