• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommendations for my first James Patterson novel

DiamondIce

kickbox
Recommendations for my first crime/thriller novel - possibly James Patterson(?)

Hi

I wondered if anyone can help me. Seeing as I'm trying to spend more time away from the 'net (if thats at all possible) although I work quite long hours (30 hours a week) & watch alot of TV, I've decided that I would like to try getting back into reading.

I had read a book this summer based on a TV show called 'Lost!' that I really enjoyed and that made me think about buying more books... im 20 btw and over the last few years the only kind of books ive really read in any volume are point horror books and Buffy novels both the ones for children & the young adult ones (the Gatekeeper Trilogy was great - who's with me about this? or am I talking to the wrong kind of audience perhaps?)

Anyway, bottom line. I like reading crime & horror books well I reckon I do or will do as I like TV shows like CSI & Law & Order and so on... so I thought I might enjoy reading James Patterson books, after I saw a TV advert (ironically enough) for his latest novel, big bad wolf.

So I hoped someone might be able to tell me which book is the best one to start off with. I gather his novels are about a detective/cop called Alex Cross... is it easy enough to pick up any novel and understand it or would I have to start witha particular novel where it starts out so I understand it... plus I like books with shorter chapters and ones that arent too long preferably 250 pages or less just as I can lose interest. Once I get into a certain theme or whatever I reckon it'll be ok but anyway... any recommendations people? I am quite tempted by a book I justr ead about on Amazon which is called 'The Beach House' and is written by James Patterson & Peter De Jonge. Thats not quite as long as some of his other books and it doesnt involve Alex Cross so I presume its a stand alone book so it wouldnt refer to his newer works... so if anyones read it please let me know if its a good one to read for someone like me :) (if you know what I mean lol)

Sorry this post is so long :rolleyes: @ me *lol* thanks in advance

-- Isla

Many of James Patterson's books feature Alex Cross. While you don't really have to read them in order, there is a sequence of events. His books are famous for short short chapters. One that I really enjoyed, not with Alex Cross, was Beach House, the one you mentioned. It was really good and such a fast read.
Another fast read is Harlan Coben's "Tell No One", an excellent book. There are so many good books out there. Michael Connelly's "City of Bones" was another that I loved as well as Dennis Lehane's "Mystic River" (same as the movie, but a great book).

Thanks Maggie

Originally posted by Maggie61
Many of James Patterson's books feature Alex Cross. While you don't really have to read them in order, there is a sequence of events. His books are famous for short short chapters. One that I really enjoyed, not with Alex Cross, was Beach House, the one you mentioned. It was really good and such a fast read.
Another fast read is Harlan Coben's "Tell No One", an excellent book. There are so many good books out there. Michael Connelly's "City of Bones" was another that I loved as well as Dennis Lehane's "Mystic River" (same as the movie, but a great book).

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the suggestions :)
by the way, I noticed when I was having a look through the entire listings under 'James Patterson' at Amazon.co.uk it listed the book 'The Beach House' twice, one listing saying it was about 290 pages or so and the other one saying 480 pages. I don't know if it was re-written or something but thats a bit too much for me! anyway thanks :)

Hmmm...

...I'm still not sure if I'd be able to make it through a book thats as long as 300-odd pages. I know I should probably just buy one and give it a try, I'm just thinking of how I bought 'The Virgin Suicides' by Jeffrey Eugenides (sp?) a couple of years ago but I never finished that I got to roughly the third or fourth chapter and it was so strange I sort of gave up on it :eek: im awful, I know!

I really would like to get back into reading again, I think it would be a good thing for me, especially as I've always had an interest in creative writing myself. I just know what I'm like if I start reading something which is slightly 'above me', it would need to get my attention quickly or I'll give up in a book after the first chapter. If a book tries to be too overly descriptive and goes too slow, I dont give it much of a chance really and even moreso if the language is too confusing.

I know, im rotten. I'm just wondering... is there perhaps a good website with book excerpts from different authors that I could have a browse at? I'm not actually bothered which author I read or anything as such, I just think it would be good to find one I enjoy so I can buy more after I've read the first and I can get back into the swing of things to put it that way...

Seeing as I've been a bit of a computer nerd being on the internet a lot since we got it at home when I was 14 and I've only read short books around 150 pages in length, I've not read well for a while. Although, I did read books like Watership Down & Animal Farm and a book I liked called Imaginary Friends for school... they were quite long books. I really quite enjoyed Watership Down :) im glad its on the list plus the film is really good too especially with the atmospheric music. Anyway, I'm just wondering what type of book & book length might be best to start with again, so that I wont throw away the idea of reading so quickly again(!).

Again, any suggestions are always welcome :) that Harlan Coben book sounds like a good read though - I might give that a try and see how far I get *lol* I'll wait and see if I get any extra replies here first though :D thanks! (again sorry I can talk my head off - and here I am complaining about books that go on and on - deary me!)

-- Isla

DiamondIce - I'll bet one was a number of pages for hardcover and another for paperback of Beach House. Trust me. It's an extremely quick read - he has huge spaces when he only has two or three pages per chapter. There's a lot of blank page. I have the hardcover version (Well actually my friend has it so I can't check for sure), but I think it's nowhere near 400 pages. All of his are quick reads. I haven't read "Jester" yet, but I don't think it's really my thing.

Since I saw what else you've read like Animal Farm, Watership Down, etc, if you make it through those you can't easily do any of these - they are much lighter, and quicker reads.

The Harlan Coben is also a quick read, probably less than 300 pages.

I know what you mean about putting a book down if it doesn't grab you. I try to finish a book that I start but sometimes I just can't or I put it away for another time and usually go back to it some other time. But sometimes they get shelved until further notice which never comes - there's too much out there to read without forcing myself to read stuff I can't get into.

If you like horror Bentley Little writes some good horror books that aren't too long - "Association", and "THe Store" are both rather freaky but good. Mary Higgins Clark has fast read mystery books. Her older ones are best in my opinion, and most of her books don't have too many pages, probably around 300.

Also, if you like mystery, try the Janet Evanovich series starting with "One for the MOney" (should really read them in order), and also Sue Grafton's series starting with "A is for Alibi" - the early ones aren't much more than 200 pages if I remember correctly.

On the more humourous side, try the Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella, hilarious, very light. Also The Devil wears Prada by Allison Pearson is another funny fast read.

Happy reading, tell me what you come up with.

P.S. - Virgin Suicides is worth the read if you can try again.

Originally posted by Maggie61
DiamondIce - I'll bet one was a number of pages for hardcover and another for paperback of Beach House. Trust me. It's an extremely quick read - he has huge spaces when he only has two or three pages per chapter. There's a lot of blank page. I have the hardcover version (Well actually my friend has it so I can't check for sure), but I think it's nowhere near 400 pages. All of his are quick reads. I haven't read "Jester" yet, but I don't think it's really my thing.

Since I saw what else you've read like Animal Farm, Watership Down, etc, if you make it through those you can't easily do any of these - they are much lighter, and quicker reads.

The Harlan Coben is also a quick read, probably less than 300 pages.

I know what you mean about putting a book down if it doesn't grab you. I try to finish a book that I start but sometimes I just can't or I put it away for another time and usually go back to it some other time. But sometimes they get shelved until further notice which never comes - there's too much out there to read without forcing myself to read stuff I can't get into.

If you like horror Bentley Little writes some good horror books that aren't too long - "Association", and "THe Store" are both rather freaky but good. Mary Higgins Clark has fast read mystery books. Her older ones are best in my opinion, and most of her books don't have too many pages, probably around 300.

Also, if you like mystery, try the Janet Evanovich series starting with "One for the MOney" (should really read them in order), and also Sue Grafton's series starting with "A is for Alibi" - the early ones aren't much more than 200 pages if I remember correctly.

On the more humourous side, try the Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella, hilarious, very light. Also The Devil wears Prada by Allison Pearson is another funny fast read.

Happy reading, tell me what you come up with.

P.S. - Virgin Suicides is worth the read if you can try again.

That'll be right, yes there was a hardback edition mentioned too.
Thanks... I'll take those into consideration :) really I dont necessarily want to make what I've already read in the past dictate what im going to enjoy now or in the future but its always good to keep in mind I suppose.

Of course the irony of this whole thing that I haven't mentioned (until now) is that I work in a college library (an agricultural college so ok their all non fiction books) and have done for almost exactly a year - so I've had plenty of influence to get me to read again. Its the job itself that kept me away as I'm working 30 hours a week *lol* but it is quite ironic... anyway, im going to have a look in Waterstones on Saturday when I go shopping, so I'll get something then :) if I dont see anything particularly interesting, I might go back and try to re-read The Virgin Suicides. I know I should have given it more of a chance but at the time I was busy with the last year of school work and exams I think and I got confused with what was going on in the plot so I put it away and never picked it up again, if I remember right.

Thanks again :D

I managed to get The Beach House in town today and I just finished reading The Virgin Suicides this morning. I've read the first part of The Beach House and its looking good :) thanks for the suggestions :)

Back