• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommendations please!

caffeinegrrl

I know a million people ask this, but I went to the library recently and felt overwhelmed, I wasn't sure what to read next!

I'm in the mood for something fitting my like of Vonnegut, Palahniuk (sp?), Tom Robbins, um I can't remember any right now, I'm having a brain freeze, but you get the idea hopefully! Basically anything that stands out and/or will make me think. Thanks ahead of time!

I've never read Robbins, but here goes. You might like any of the following:
The Moviegoer by Walker Percy
The Field of Vision by Wright Morris
A Fan's Notes by Fred Exley
The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
Without more info, I'm shooting in the dark, but they're all good books.

Wow, I like your taste in books. Palahniuk, Robbins, Vonnegut, I love all three of them! I've read almost everything by both Robbins and Vonnegut, and I'm just getting into Palahniuk.

Seeing that you already know Robbins and Vonnegut, I won't recommend anything by them (unless you want to). I will recommend, however, Michael Marshall Smith, who you'll like, I'm sure!

Cheers, Martin :D

If you haven't already, read Last Temptation of Christ, my favorite book I have ever read. Read books by Aldous Huxley and Hubert Selby Jr. Read A Clockwork Orange, Fear in Loathing in Las Vegas. Fahrenheit 451, Johnny Got His Gun, Read The Divine Comedy, and 1984. Those are all some realy great books.

A friend of mine reads Vonnegut and I know he also reads work by Richard Brautigan, a popular writer of strangeness. Steve Aylett is a bit out there as well.

If you want a book that will make you think, then there is nothing that I can recommend more than Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo. This book will leave an impression on you that will never fade. I can guarantee you that a more emotionally intense book has never been written, and may never be written. A bold claim, perhaps, but I tell you that it is true. It is an obscure classic, but it towers above Tolstoy, Hugo, Dostoevsky, Dickens, Cervantes, Shakespeare, all of those well-known writers. It surpasses them by far. No Greek tragedy, no Crime and Punishment, no Hunchback of Notre Dame, no Macbeth and no Romeo and Juliet, can compare with this book in emotional intensity.

Please, I ask all of you to remember this book and if you ever have a chance to read it, read it. You will not be disappointed, and you will agree with everything that I have said up to now. I can promise that. Thinking back now to reading that book, I still feel echoes of sadness, distinct reverberations of its profound message. This is a book that will stick with you for the rest of your life. Unlike the other "tragedies" you will not be able to casually talk about this book over supper, for mere thought of it will make you feel sorrowful. You will perhaps as I did reread certain passages, absorbing the emotional intensity as far as you are able. I know that after I read this book I held onto it for over a week, rereading countless times certain paragraphs that touch me even now when I think of them.

Some of you will think that what I say is foolish, but you have not read this book. It is with immense confidence that I guarantee you will be affected by this novel. It is poignant beyond compare.

My advice to you is that if you read this book, do so in a private place. There will be times when you will want to cry, and the presence of other people will prohibit you from enjoying the full effects of the emotional intensity of this book. I know that there were moments while reading it that I was overwhelmed with sadness, but being in a public place I had to restrain myself. I regret that.

Laugh at my confidence if you will, but please read the book. The man who wrote this book is not praised enough for his contribution to our reservoir of literature. While Dickens and Tolstoy are praised endlessly, Johnny Got His Gun has been almost forgotten. Very few people have read this book, when compared to the people who have read Tolstoy, Dickens, and Hugo. But I do not doubt that those few who have read it as I have read it were touched by it as I was touched by it and remember it as I remember it.

I'd have to second that Brautigan reccomendation. I just read his book In Watermelon Sugar. It's strange, sort of funny, closest to Vonnegut, but very unique

Hey, thanks guys! I, personally, love Vonnegut (read everything he's written) and I've been looking for comparable authors for ages now! I'll be sure to check this Brautigan-guy out!

Cheers, Martin :D

Back