• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reincarnation

If you feel it is getting boring you should just not respond, now it looks as if your argument does not hold up very well and you just want to have the last word.................ok that’s fine.

I fail to see where my argument is not holding... Just because it is 2 against 1 does not mean I am wrong. :)

I fail to see where my argument is not holding... Just because it is 2 against 1 does not mean I am wrong. :)

Your argument is fine, I only said that to get get you back into the debate; it seems to have worked;)

No one is right and no one is wrong because no one knows if a God exists or not. It's all just a bit of fun debating it.

Except for one thing, the word 'belief'. It is that word rather than God that we are debating.

Wiki
Belief is the psychological state in which an individual is convinced of the truth of a proposition. Like the related concepts truth, knowledge, and wisdom, there is no precise definition of belief on which scholars agree, but rather numerous theories and continued debate about the nature of belief

If scholars can't agree what hope have we got?

One thing though............you are reading, The GOD Delusion by Richard Dawkins. I started this to see what it was all about, but gave up after the first few chapters because of this.............

At the start of the book Richard Dawkins is trying to convince us the Albert Einstein did not believe in God. He does this by giving quotes Einstein made relating to God and then giving his own interpretation as to what Einstein meant. He has also cherry picked the quotes.

Whether Albert Einstein believed in God or not is still up for debate, but if it were proved that he did, then this would be a thorn in Richard Dawkins God Delusion side.

I think Albert Einstein did believe;-

Wasn't it Einstein who said "Imagination is more important than knowledge."?

If that's the case, I'd think he would have beena believer.

Your argument is fine, I only said that to get get you back into the debate; it seems to have worked

No one is right and no one is wrong because no one knows if a God exists or not. It's all just a bit of fun debating it.

hehe... I just felt like you were taking a little stab at me :p I enjoy talking about these things but I have learned that when people run out of arguments they start attacking each other, and I run away from that kind of conversation... ;)

One thing though............you are reading, The GOD Delusion by Richard Dawkins. I started this to see what it was all about, but gave up after the first few chapters because of this.............

At the start of the book Richard Dawkins is trying to convince us the Albert Einstein did not believe in God. He does this by giving quotes Einstein made relating to God and then giving his own interpretation as to what Einstein meant. He has also cherry picked the quotes.

I have to say I am a bit disappointed with the book. I like Dawkins but had never read anything from him before and I think I expected more. I am still reading it and will finish but even though some of it is hilarious and some arguments are good, I am finding it a bit... childish for lack of a better word. Maybe this is because he is trying to write in a very accessible way or maybe it is just because his cause is a very difficult one.
He uses Einstein in the beginning because religious people, who usually are masters at the cherry picking btw, are always quoting him as an example of a religious scientist. I particularly think Einstein did not believe in the biblical god, just because he was a thinker and if you really think about it, the biblical god idea does not hold. If he believed in another kind of spirituality no one will never know for sure.

I also bought a book called "God is not great - How religion poisons everything" and am finding it more interesting than R.D.'s one. Religion and fanaticism are things we can complain about and even try to change but personal belief is too... well... personal to be beaten down with a book.

Ahh, that's cleared about. The willpower bit, as in.

Listen, I'm not attacking your belief, which is what I'm going to see it as whether you like it or not. I'm just saying that I see it that way. If you don't, fine: Believe I'm wrong. ;)

Also, I looked up <i>God is not great - How religion poisons everything</i>. Looks nifty; thanks for the recommendation.

Those are really interesting things, by the way, Seven. My mother's had some odd things happen to her, but every time she tries to tell someone, they call her crazy. The fact that she's OCD doesn't really help, either. At one point, she was very depressed and going to do something quite rash. She had a vision; she was 100% awake the entire time, not under the influence of anything, and has never had a single hallucination in her life. She saw what she perceived to be god telling her that something good would come to her soon, if she just had faith, patience, and persistence. She put aside her rash action, and a few days later, she met my father.

Religion and fanaticism are things we can complain about and even try to change but personal belief is too... well... personal to be beaten down with a book.
True.

Also I think that religion has very little, if anything to do with God. Someone can believe in a god without having a religion.

If you trace most myths or legends back to their roots, you will find a grain of truth that sparked off what is now the myth.

Your Santa illustration started with St Nicholas. At best that is what has happened to religion..............I think.

Back