• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

remember your first chapter book?

jenn

i have started buying books for my kids that i loved as a kid. they are still at the age where eating them is as good as reading them, but i have high hopes for the future. i remember charlotte's web was my first chapter book that i read, alone, that did not have pictures. i was so impressed with myself. and i was also inconsoloble(sp?) for days after charlotte died.
what is your first memory of reading a book that would be considered a novel (childrens) and what were your impressions?

jenngorham said:
i remember charlotte's web was my first chapter book that i read, alone, that did not have pictures. . . . what is your first memory of reading a book that would be considered a novel (childrens) and what were your impressions?

As I remember it, mine was an E.B. White, too--The Trumpet of the Swan. I fell in love with Louis, the jazz-playing mute swan who took taxicabs.

Aww...what sweet memories! I remember the first "real" book I read. It's still a children's book, but it's 178 pages long, so that was pretty significant for a 10-year-old girl! Sadly, I don't remember much about the book (Surprise Island by Gertrude Chandler Warner), except that it was really fun to read - it was a sort of adventure. I guess that's the first time I was "transported" to another place without having to leave the comfort of my home. Now I'm addicted to "traveling" through books! :)

I think the first real book I read was by Dennis Jürgensen about a group of friendly mosters, a Vampire, werewolf, mummy, a burping dragon and their human friend. Thats about all I remember about them except that those books where very funny.

Hoho, mine is...

The Frog Prince in Classic Fairy Tale :p
2089.JPEG

Aaack! I can't remember my first! :eek:

It seems I went from reading those Golden books with lots of pictures to everything I could get my hands on, including chapter books. The ones that stand out are Pippylongstockings and Heidi.

Mine would be an Enid Blyton book - Shadow the Sheepdog. I still love this book and will read it nostalgically now and then.

did any of you read kid lit that was geared towards the oppposite sex? ie: little jonny reading little women, or little susie reading the hardy boys? i have 2 boys, yet have accumulated a lot of more feminine reading.(not that there is anything wrong with that, just curious if the interest was there to read about jo and beth at age 8 when you are a boy)

My first chapter book was most likely one of the Bobsey Twins mysteries. Ring a bell, Brits? My older sister had the whole set.

Erm... maybe Endyth Blyton or Ronald Dahl. I tried to gt through The Boy in year four but foud it a bit hard going. But the first book that I remember that I LOVED was Dogsbody by Diana Wynne Jones when I was in nine, year four.

Madeleine, I loved the Bobbsey Twins. I didn't think anyone read them anymore. I went through a period where I read every series-type books I could find - Sue Barton, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, etc.

The Hardy Boys was probably the first, but I read so many books when I was young that I can barely remember these days :(

Phil

As I remember it, mine was an E.B. White, too--The Trumpet of the Swan. I fell in love with Louis, the jazz-playing mute swan who took taxicabs

Mine was also Trumpet of The Swan- I loved that book- I still do. What's not to love about a swan who goes to school?

novella said:
As I remember it, mine was an E.B. White, too--The Trumpet of the Swan. I fell in love with Louis, the jazz-playing mute swan who took taxicabs.

sorry didn't know how to do that quote thing. :confused:

Gosh, if only my memory was that good. Sadly, it isn't, but as I recall one of the first things I was blown away by as a kid was "Danny The Champion Of The World". Whether this was my first chapter book or not, I have no idea, but it obviously left a big impression on me; I still remember little intricacies of the plot now in my 30s.

I had a big collection of Enid Blyton too, so one of those was probably a pretty early read. Maybe Amelia Jane, or something similar. I also avidly read the St Clares/Malory Towers school series, (queueing up with my pocket money in Woolworths each time I finished one and needed the next in the series!) and I remember thinking that although I could relate to these kids, they were quite a bit older than me. So I probably would have been younger than 10-ish when I started on those.

I started reading chapter books when I was... 7 or 8 I believe. The Faraway Tree, and then the Wishing Chair by Enid Blyton. Around that time I also read Narnia by C.S. Lewis, The Secret Garden, What Katy Did (etc), and I believe a series of books that I can't really remember called My Best Fiend. I'm sure there were more. I know I read Charlotte's web at some point.

Then I did the series thing when I was 10, 11 and 12. Especially horse books.

I wish I remembered my first! But that was too long ago. I do remember reading a lot of Nancy Drew and Beverly Cleary though.

Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary

I started reading the series when I was seven and I read them all at least once.

Back