• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Requiem for a dream. Best movie adaptation ever. DISCUSS

james-88

The best movie adaptation of a book ever has got to be darren aronofsky's film for hubert selby jr.'s requiem for a dream. The movie is actually far far better than the book. In the movie they move the plot along in a much better and more interesting fashion. The only thing that might be better in the book is Sara Goldfarb's character, but ellen burstyn does a phenomenal job, which she should have gotten an oscar nomination for. Even in the movie they take some things out and put new ones in that still make it better than the book though, on sara's part. The relationships between the characters is also alot better written and played out in the movie. I saw the movie and read aronofsky's foreward for the book which completely convinced me to read the book. I went in to reading the book expecting some amazing and completely different piece of literature, based on the fact the movie was so inovational and amazing, but came out very disapointed. The book is however very good, but nothing amazing or inovational, the only thing that actually makes the book stand out as something new is the fact selby doesn't use puncuations or new paragraphs, which is something he does in i think all of his books.
Anyways, thats what i think. What does anyone else think.

I can be short.

Is 'Requiem for a dream' the best adaptation of a book?

No. 'The Shawshank Redemption' is better (and I know that was based on a Novella, so don't start).

Is 'Requiem for a dream' a good adaptation of a book?

Oh, holy mother of God YES. That movie completely blew me away. So emotional, so strong, so utterly depressing. Great film with great performances. And didn't Ellen Burstyn get an Oscar-nomination for that? I thought she did.

Cheers, Martin :D

Personally for me 'requiem' was a lot better then anything I have seen since it made me feel so much and I was at once horrified and enthralled, their lives spiralled out of control. I haven't read the book but the images of the movie are ingrained in my memory.

I actually cried the first time I saw it, but I was 17 then and would probably react differently now. Personally I think Aronofsky's Pi is a superior film to Requiem For a Dream, and my favorite movie adaptation for a book is Fight Club.

Requiem for a Dream is a fruit-pickingly, top-nitch-notch-notchingly goodleburging grub-grub movie!

The first part makes you want to do loads and loads of drugs and the second parts makes you want to never ever go near anything resembling a pharmaceutical ever ever again.

They should show it in every high-school/comprehensive across the world...

Back