• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Review: The $12 Million Stuffed Shark: The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art ...

speedmaster

I saw this (The $12 Million Stuffed Shark: The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art by Don Thompson) reviewed earlier in the year and put it in my queue. Didn't think much more of it until I saw it on the new book shelf at the library recently. Normally, I have no notable interest in contemporary/modern art. But the title definitely piqued my curiosity.

If art fakes can easily fool so many experts, why are the originals worth so much?
-- George Carlin (paraphrased)

This book is somewhat like Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, but focused on art, instead of corpses. Maybe Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers crossed with art and a touch of Freakonomics? ;-)

The centerpiece of the book is a detailed look into the two main auction houses for art: Christie's and Sotheby's.

In just the first few chapters the reader quickly realizes that art auctions are perhaps 40% marketing, with the rest being a combination of signaling and high-end theater. The relationships between the major players (consignors, dealers, bankers, buyers/bidders, guarantors, consultants, critics, etc.) are complex. And the industry is mature. Each of the players has a role that includes feeding off the others as well as serving them. Branding is a huge part of this industry, for both auction houses as well as celebrity artists.

I left the full review here:
Book Review: The $12 Million Stuffed Shark: The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art

Back