• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reviews facility ETA?

How would you use the [i]Reviews[/i] facility?

• To post my own reviews

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • To post my own reviews and respond to others

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • To respond to other reviews only

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I do not think I would use of the facility

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tobytook

One for Darren, I think:

Any projected launch date for the Reviews facility? I periodically click on it from the Homepage but thus far I've been presented with the "coming soon" message.

And to open the thread up to everyone:

Let's get a show of hands as to how many would actually post reviews if the facility were available (see poll).

Tobytook

The current reviews section is what is left over from when we used ezboard as the forum. It's a series of HTML pages that are quite labour-intensive to update each time a new review is to be added.

I've been thinking of different ways to integrate it better into the new vBulletin forum.

Would you prefer the reviews to be amongst the other threads in the fiction and non-fiction areas (as they are now), or to have a separate area just for reviews?

Should the review text be duplicated in the reviews area (as it is now), or just link to the forum from an index page?

Originally posted by Darren Lewis
Would you prefer the reviews to be amongst the other threads in the fiction and non-fiction areas (as they are now), or to have a separate area just for reviews?
I would prefer to see it in a separate area. It'd make the site more compartmentalised, which may not be a good thing, but it would keep a review thread nicely focused - and the equally worthwhile meandering could still go on elsewhere.

Should the review text be duplicated in the reviews area (as it is now), or just link to the forum from an index page?
Hate to admit it but you've sort of lost me there. Should the what-what be what's-that in the what-where?

Tobytook

Ok, I've created a new area just for book reviews. The reviews button under the title logo now lists all reviews in that area in an A-Z list. Much easier to control now as the index is pulled from the forum database automatically. No more time-consuming HTML editing :)

I'll probably edit the reviews as they are posted to include things like cover photos, publisher and price info, and links to bookshops to buy them.

Darren.

Darren,

Good choice. It looks fine. I notice that you've also sorted out explanatory links from the Reviews tab on the Homepage. Good thinking, Batman.

Won't it be a bit of a hassle for you personally, though? Cutting and pasting images, links and whatever into every review, I mean.

(Although if the poll response is anything to go by - not exactly a deluge - there might not be very much to do after all :( )

Tobytook

Back