• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

right to life - right to die

lorrekarloff said:
Im not saying he shouldnt have moved on, but why, if he is not living by the 'rules' of marriage, why were Terri and her family forced to live by those rules? If we can make that allowance for one partner in this, why not the other?

I also think he should have divorced her and given guardianship to her parents way back when he found someone to move on with.

Perhaps he did not do these things because he really, truly feels that Terri would not want to live like that, and that is why he is fighting to end her life instead of leaving her.

I wonder how many people who would like to see Michael Schiavo's bounty collected know that when Terri first suffered this catastrophy, Michael put himself through nursing school so he could help take better care of Terri.

He is a registered nurse, and he got his degree to help take care of her. Something that's not published too much in the Michael bashing pages of the press.

At least that's a story reported on CNN (or some news channel) the other night.

I believe this is a decision that can only be made by the individuals involved, and on a case-by-case basis. I would imagine that most of us would do what we would want to have done for ourselves (we do have that right when it comes to our beloved pets.)

The bottom line is that U]all[/U] adults should have wills and Durable Powers of Attorney in place. It's the loving thing to do, and could certainly save our loved ones a world of grief.

I have one -- how about the rest of you guys?

;)

Motokid said:
How a surgically implanted tube that provides food and water is not considered "life support"? If it's removed and the patient dies, that to me means life support. With it, life. Without it, death. Please help me here if you can.

When you hear people talk about "pulling the plug" they usually mean removing a ventilator, which breathes for a person who cannot breathe on their own. That doesn't mean a feeding tube isn't life support, it does keep a person alive. Then again, a lot of IV medications keep patients alive too. I suppose it depends on your own personal perception. I think of it this way, a person on a ventilator usually can not breathe without it. A person on a feeding tube could probably digest food on their own, the concern is with getting the food chewed and swallowed without aspirating it.

I was really waiting for somebody to bring up IV's. I had considered that too. However, an IV, chemotheropy, or even the flu shot which certainly can save a life and/or sustain a life is typically temporary. Used only long enough to get a person through something specific.

Dialysis (spelling that is killing me this morning, sorry) is more kin to a life support definition. Something that in some cases is required to sustain life for years and possibly for the rest of a life time.

I was hoping somebody in the medical field could help out.

Motokid said:
You completely missed my point.

You stated "almost noone else had ever even been close to any sort of similar situation".

I was merely pointing out that you don't know that for sure. Maybe people are keeping that kind of painful information to themselves?

Don't assume that just because nobody has stated some similer situation has affected their life, that they are void of heartache and loss.
To avoid having your point missed, maybe you shouldnt insult and rephrase others statements. So far you,ve changed what I said into "Nobody here has ever had difficult family life and death circumstances to deal with" and "...that they are void of heartache and loss". I never even thought those things!

Now I will try once again to explain myself. I have been around physically and mentally disabled people throughout my life, and I have found just the opposite. Most people want to tell the stories of their loved ones who they are caring for or have lost. Most people take comfort in finding someone to relate to who can listen with empathy. Ive started several conversations with folks when I've been out with a disabled person because people stare, but when you tell them its OK to ask questions more than a few have said they wanted to talk to us because they have someone in their life in a similar condition.
I have found the same thing in all the other conversations Ive had on this subject; this is the first place where I didn't hear others' stories. I am speaking from years of experience. Are you?

I could give several more examples from personal experience, but I dont want to be accused of "bleeding out family pain and tears" all over the board.

Back