• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Robert Charles Wilson: Spin

Oh please. In my view I disliked it. I can't remember when I read Spin but I do remember hating it. I disagree with you review. Sorry.

What didn't you like about it, AB?

Cajun_duck, I'm not familiar with it. Can you give a quick, spoiler-less plot?

Everything spark. I cast the book in the garbage.

To be fair, I am NOT a sci-fi reader.

Amazon:

Spin is not merely a SF thriller. It’s also a coming-of-age tale, a love story, a literary triumph, and an ecological and apocalyptic warning. The award-winning Wilson excels at all aspects of his tale, from the human angle to the political, religious, biological, medical, and astrophysical theorizing. The first part elicited "jaw-dropping amazement" from critics; luckily, the pace slows over the remaining pages to recount the next few decades on Earth (Emerald City). If the plot involving the terraforming and colonization of Mars seems farfetched, put it in the context of Wilson’s deep characterization and convincing relationships, and you’ll be OK. After all, Spin is "a book about faith: especially our faith in ourselves"
I didn't like (at all) Enders Game and it's a classic - everybody ADORES that one. I did not. I stray from sci-fi books. Sorry guys.

Even though I do not favor sci-fi, I will strive to enjoy them. This will most likely be my next sci-fi novel:

aimages.barnesandnoble.com_images_78390000_78393215.JPG

Too be honest, I didn't enjoy 1984. I never got past the first chapter because it was like a sleeping pill for me.

Sparky, Spin was quite enjoyable for me. It's hard sf, and had a pretty interesting premise. I learned from the book that 'Pak' was used as a honorific for adult males in Indonesia, which I remember being quite incredulous about because it was so in Malaysia as well, but not to the extent the book portrayed. I got a chance to work in Indonesia not too long after, and turns out the book was right. Irk.

I read the whole thing *then* realized that it had won the Hugo. I consider this one of the award-winning titles that "doesn't suck".

Hmmm...listen to AB or listen to Donny....decisions, decisions.

I've added it to my list, Donny. Thanks.

Back