• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Robert Harris anyone?

DarkRaven

I'm a massive fan of Harris's books about Cicero: Imperium and Lustrum. Has anyone else read them?

They're very interesting, both from a historical perspective (most of the events that happen did in fact happen - at least the major ones), but also from a political perspective. As the two books progress, Cicero changes from a populist to becoming a tool of the aristocracy. This is an act of unashamed pragmatism - he does what he needs to do, to get into power.

Arguably, the best part of the book is the character of Cicero, but apart from himself and his wife Terentia, I don't feel he did a great job of portraying the other ''friendly characters.'' Catalina, Caesar, Pompeii and Crasus were portrayed passably well. Their villainous traits are shown to us, but very little else.

That said, the books are very interesting. If you like politics and history, I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Thoughts anyone? Experiences to share?

I haven't read either of those, but I have read Fatherland and really enjoyed it. It's set in an alternate Germany where Germany didn't lose the war... it's a really interesting book in that it plays out some really inventive ideas.

I will stick Imperium onto my reading list (it's a long list) for future reading.

BUMP

Absolutely love Robert Harris' works, but i've only read Fatherland and Archangel. Both brilliant and would really recommend them!

I enjoyed the first two of the Cicero trilogy, although I wonder if the third will ever come out.
If he pulls a "Norman Mailer" and doesn't come out with the 3rd, I'll be seriously annoyed.

I read Fatherland when I was still in school and loved it a lot (I've wanted to re-read it ever since but never got around to it).

"Pompeii" wasn't bad either, but I liked "Fatherland" better.

Back