• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time

Dawn

kickbox
Has anyone read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan? I've visited web sites and forums dedicated to the series, but they're just a bit too intense (OK I'll say it, obsessive) for me. I'd love to discuss them here, however. Seems a safer place. :p :p

I have read it and look forward to January when #10 comes out. I really enjoyed it for 3 or 4 books and then Jordan lost his way. Too many plot threads at this point. I am still enjoying it but that is now tainted by an idea that he has ceased telling the story and started (only) cashing checks. That said, #9 started us back in the right direction IMO.

Mike

I agree with you about Jordan losing his way. It's gotten kind of silly. I, like you, however, still enjoy them and am waiting for #10.

I had to visit a couple of WOT sites to refresh my memory with regard to the various names and plot lines. Egad it's become complicated! I have a hard time remembering who is a darkfriend, who's a forsaken, and who's in disguise. I just hope it'll all make sense by the time #10 comes out. Can't wait to see what happens to Mat.

I've heard some awful reviews of these books, after the first few. I've had the first one sitting on my bookshelf for ages but am not sure whether to read it and get sucked in to reading all ten if they are not worth the effort! Would you recommend starting the series?

In my opinion it is worth it. Some of the books are better than others, but they do suck you in. You want to know what happens to these people. And if you like them, you don't have to wait for the next one to come out, since there are 10 of them now. That should keep you going for a while.

I'm about to finish Crossroads of Twilight and wanted to know if anyone else has. If so...

What do you think about the series?

How does this novel compare to the others?

Where to you think Jordan is going with the various plotlines?

Do you think the novels have gotten too complicated?

<Prolixic, can we discuss specific details without spoiler boxes?>

I will do this without spoilers.

I used to LOVE the series. Now, I kinda tolerate it but still read every one of the books.

I think that CoT is very similiar to the last 2 books. No major plot movement. I wish he would at least START to wrap it up.

At this point, I am not sure Jordan even knows where the plotlines are going. I know that he has stated that he knows how the story is going to end. Barring a massive suprise, I think we can all guess the end in general.

As to the complicated question, I would not really say it is too complicated. I think I would say that he has his characters spread out too far in the world and is not sure how to reunite them. I for one loved the interaction between the characters in the earlier parts of the series, but now if we get more than 2 major characters in the same scene it is suprising. I really hope we see some resolution to at least one problem that our characters are facing in the next book. I just hope it comes out next year.

Mike

I have to contantly remind myself where everyone is and what they know of what the others are doing. I'm speaking of the main characters mostly. Also, I never liked the love "quad" idea. I hope Jordan has a reason for this. A reason he decides to share with the rest of us. Otherwise, it would have been nice to see Rand have a backbone and make a decision on a woman. I mean, geez, it must be nice...three women! And they're OK with it! At first I liked the female leads and how their characters were growing and developing, but now some of them just irritate me. Especially when they stop developing. Elyane (spelling?) for one. I stopped being interested in what she was doing a couple of books ago.

I thought that we've seen too little of Rand in this book. I guess we're supposed to be catching up with everyone else, but he has things to take care of.

I thought he was supposed to be learning how to laugh? What happened with that? I was looking forward to reading about his somewhat happy for a change.

All in all, I'll continue to read the series. I just hope I remember what's going on when the next one comes out.

I'd say declare your intentions with regards to spoilers when you open the thread and then let the browser beware. I.e., big bold letters that say, Warning! No Spoilers!

I had to give up on the series. It was great for the first few books but then it just sort of got more and more exhausting. So little happened told with SO MANY words. I may eventually try to read the rest of the series but I just don't have the heart right now.

~Witch

i agree with what everyone is saying. it was really good in the beginning, but i don't know what jordan is doing now. nor do i really care all that much though i'll read till the end just so i know. but the books have gone from good to bad pretty quick.

I'm 200 pages through the first book. Don't know whether to stop now as every one here and others I've spoken to says it gets a bit boring later in the series....say from book 5 or 6.

I'd say COT was the worst of the books so far. At least in the previous book there was some big plot movement. I came to COT hoping for some more, but instead I get a HUGE portion of the book still in prologue. Then, most of the characters are sooo predictable that they are just extremely annoying. The number one thing Jordan should focus on (plot movement), he doesnt. He has overloaded the reader in meaningless detail, that it becomes a chore to keep on reading. This series has become quite disappointing too me.

I think one of Jordan's many problems is that WoT was originally going to be four books long and so he did all his character development in the first four books, then everythink spirled out of control for him and now things have just become stagnant.

Hmm, last I heard the Wheel of Time series was to have twelve books. Not sure with the current state, Jordan will be able to wrap it in 2 more books, unless they are monstrous.

Reading Wheel of Time for me was a whirlwind tour. I finished the first eight books inside a week and abandoned the ninth book half-way through it due to increasing frustration.
That was a few weaks ago and since then I have been unable to pick them up again and continue my reading mainly because,

a. I emphatically dislike Cadsuine.
b. I am fed up trying to follow the ten or so different plots that run contemporary to each other. Even Ullyses didn't present one-tenth of these difficulties.

I was thinking of skimming through the tenth book and reading the last few pages. What do you people recomend? Should I read go on with my plan or should I force myself to read through the whole 500+ pages of it. Is it worth it?

I personally think that the first five book were great but after that the series declined. [Although I rather like the part with Mat in the later books.]

I enjoyed WoT, though it is by no means great, Jordan has done a good job with creating his world, though I though Path of Daggers and CoT were the worst in the series I think he can still redeem WoT, as New Spring was as good as the first books in the series

and yes Oponn, I am stalking you :p :D

Ugh not you, not on another forum!
There are bastions of spamlessness and fun left to me which you'll never find.

I have just started reading the third book in the series. Its really good but I'd like to know-
When is the series going to end? I see the 11th book is out-which will be the last?
Some people have told me that the series stopped being good after a while. If this is true then which is the last good book before they "jump the shark"
And if you have read them all, which is the single best book in the series?

Actually, if you are referring to "New Spring", it is a prequel, not book 11.

My frustrated thoughts are here.

There are several Wheel of Time threads floating around, you can do a search for "Robert Jordan" or "Wheel of Time" and find them.

I stopped after number 5, but will probably try again, perhaps once he's finished all 12 (plus any more prequels he feels are necessary.)

Back