• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Roger Zelazny

Brandon9000

He's my favorite writer. He died a few years ago in his 50s. He wrote mostly sci-fi/fanstasy. The reason I like him is that I think he had more raw talent and intelligence than just about anyone. The quality of his work varies widely, but some of the best are his Amber series, which begins with "Nine Princes in Amber," "Doorways in the Sand," and "Lord of Light." Most of his works have both drama and humor.

1. Nine Princes in Amber
There are an infinitude of parallel worlds, but they're not all equal. The primary one is Amber, and the rest, including our own, are some kind of minor side effect.

2. Doorways in the Sand
Perhaps a generation from now, the human race has met a confederation of alien races in deep space. The action takes place on Earth. One of the artifacts we received on loan from the aliens in a cultural exchange program has been stolen. An unwitting human college student becomes mixed up in it.

3. Lord of Light
When you start the book, it seems like the whole world is ancient India, and the gods of the Hindu pantheon are frighteningly real. What you soon realize is that it's in the distant future, on a human interstellar colony, and the crew of the ship that brought them there, generations ago, is usuing technology to make themselves appear to be gods. This book won science fiction's Hugo award.

I haven't read any other Zelazny books (yet), but Lord of Light is one of my all-time favorites of the genre. I remember it being a very well-written and clever book. That is to say, it wasn't just the same old sci-fi plot, and the story really sucked you in. I may read Doorways in the Sand next.

Originally posted by funes
I haven't read any other Zelazny books (yet), but Lord of Light is one of my all-time favorites of the genre. I remember it being a very well-written and clever book. That is to say, it wasn't just the same old sci-fi plot, and the story really sucked you in. I may read Doorways in the Sand next.
Hi, I'm new on this board. "Doorways in the Sand" is a very easy and pleasant read, and quite funny in parts.

I absolutely love the Chronicles of Amber. No one I know has ever heard of him! I must have read and reread the Amber books at least five times!

Yes Chronicles of Amber is a wonderfully entertaining read and a classic of the Fantasy genre. Highly recommended.

I agree his book Lord Of Light is arguably his best ever effort.

Both of these books are available as part of the excellent Masterwork series, Amber for Fantasy, Lords for SF.

Back