• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Rolling Stone on Led Zeppelin

SFG75

The latest issue of Rolling Stone features a great article on Led Zeppelin, it is one not to be missed. I think their music is o.k. and I have some of their CDs, but I don't believe they are the best by any means. Perhaps I'm wrong? There's only so long that one can stomach Stairway to Heaven.

At any rate, here's the link and some good articles on their online site.

Led Zeppelin articles.

SFG75 said:
I think their music is o.k. and I have some of their CDs, but I don't believe they are the best by any means. Perhaps I'm wrong? Led Zeppelin articles.

"The best" is of course hard to define, and Led Zeppelin, unfortunately, probably isn't it, but they are certainly mind blowing. I lean to classical music recently, but can't really tolerate much besides the written word, so my music listening time is scarce.

I prefer the version of "Stairway to Heaven" from The Song Remains the Same soundtrack. It has lots of little asides, such as "and I think you can see that" after the lyric "sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven." Also, "does anybody remember laughter?" after the lyric "the forest will echo with laughter." But, that small talk is nothing compared to the extended alternate version of the climactic guitar solo at the end. Who needs drugs when you've got Zep?!

Their stuff like "No Quarter" is also super cool. Inspired by Tolkien??? they say. Oh, can you feel the cold?

The best, save that for Mozart or Chopin maybe, but leave us Zep, too.

"No Quarter" was mentioned quite a bit in the article that I read, I really need to check that one out. I was intrigued to learn how John Bonham died. I know that his son is part of that supernova group that is now on t.v. I've heard of his father of course, but didn't know the circumstances around his death. His intake of alcohol before he died was absolutely gargantuan, I doubt most people would wake up after that amount.:eek: I was also interested in how they were perceived to be about light and mendicant things, as opposed to the 60s rockers who had a social message and that kind of thing. Zeppelin took big advance checks and that gave them a reputation of selling out to "the man."

My brother's former cat is named Zeppelin.

I like the band. Zeppelin is what I use when I try to convince people there is more to life than pop music. They do have some slightly annoying wailing bits at the end of a few songs, but in general I think their stuff is really worthwhile if you are aiming for something with a crash and a bang.

I've listened to them since I was a teenager, and I still love their music. I think "Physical Graffiti" is prob. their best volume of work. There were Tolkien references in "Ramble On"...i.e. "In the darkest depths of Mordor, I met a girl so fair. But Gollum, the evil one, crept up and slipped away with her..."
Thanks for the link to the article SFG75, I look forward to reading it!!!

Back