• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Roman history/fantasy book

Kookamoor

I recall reading a series of books a number of years ago - perhaps 5 - 8 years ago. I can't recall if the books were standalone or if they were sequential, but there was certainly more than one of them. They were set back in ancient Rome or Greece, although excepting this fact they came across as a fantasy genre. I'm unsure if they were based on history/mythology or were fiction within a historical setting.

I remember reading a few of them, and although I can't recall the plots exactly, there was a central character who was a warrior and was a senior advisor to someone in a high ranking position in the army - maybe even the country's ruler. He may have been from humble beginnings and risen up through the ranks... I also recall there being some fairly indepth sexual encounters in the books.

It's not much to go on, but does anyone have any ideas?

Could it be Salammbo by Gustave Flaubert? Could it be I, Claudius by Robert Graves? I doubt it is, but that is the only other (albeit unlikely) possibility I can think of.

No, unfortunately. The book/series was a lot more contemporary than that. I think it was a newly released within the timeframe I mentioned - mid-late 1990s.

Around that time (90s) I read the Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte, The Skystone, The Singing Sword and Eagle's Brood. They are not set in Rome though the main characters are two Romans (Publius Varrus & Caius Britannicus) who stay in Brittain after the other Romans leave, they build a fort and are the great-grandfathers of Arthur. It's been quite awhile since I read them but I enjoyed them at the time and they were an interesting take on the Arthurian legends.

Simon Scarrow has written a series of books set around the Roman conquest of Gaul and Britain ... I'm not sure thats what you're looking for but I thought I'd drop it in, they seem to me more like a Roman-set series of Sharpe books.

Phil :)

Sell Sword - the book you mention (The Shadow of Ararat) is *definately* on the right track - right genre, that's for sure. Unfortunately the publication date doesn't quite fit (Amazon reckons it was May 2000). I also read the first pages and it doesn't ring a whole lot of bells.

Having said that, it looks really good!! I think I've just added another entry to my TBR list.

Yeah, I wasn't sure because of the date. I would recommend "In Legend Born" also by Laura Resnick. It is loosely based on the Roman occupation of Scotland (or Ireland???) and the ensuing revolt. There is magic and prophecy and all that good stuff.

I know David Gemmell wrote 'Lion of Macedon' and 'The Dark Prince'. Not sure if it's what you're after, but they were set in Greece and they are fantasy based.

magemanda said:
I know David Gemmell wrote 'Lion of Macedon' and 'The Dark Prince'. Not sure if it's what you're after, but they were set in Greece and they are fantasy based.

I looked up the first one on amazon, and I think this might be it! Parmenion rings a lot of bells. The story doesn't really seem familiar, but all the characters and locations are setting off more bells, and the title also sounds about right.

Thanks magemanda - I think you've solved the mystery!!

Back