• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Romances with women in masculine roles

revisana

It so happens that I've been reading an unwonted number of romance novels lately. I like a good love story well enough, but it doesn't take long for me to get tired of the young, naive heroine, usually heart-stoppingly beautiful, almost always younger, being pursued by a troubled, romantic man many times more mature. I think I could like these dynamics under certain circumstances, though - namely, that they were the other way around, gender-wise.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for those frothy "cougar" fantasies with a middle-aged woman in pursuit of a harem of college boys. Nor am I particularly interested in women who are masculine in ways other than their style of romance. What I'd really like is something like the tanbi novels of Mari Mori, with a woman in the place of the mentor figure. Of what I've read, The Rosary by Florence Barclay and Colette's Cheri come the closest.

Back