• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Roxbrough's Leger

Stephen King - 11.22.63

A nice idea, and in the main enjoyable if King did not 'pad it out' so much.
It could have been a hundred pages shorter.
Funny how the Americans get the date back to front.
Nice to observe his departure from horror.
Recommended with reservations

Martin - Steel and Snow.

There is no doubt about the quality of Martin's story telling, but his annoying habit of padding the yarn with far too many characters that play no important role in the narrative does get a bit wearing. That is the only adverse criticism I have of the book though and still find I can recommend it.
Recommended with reservations

Martin - Blood and Gold

Still too character heavy but some good twists in this installment. Certain characters that have been in from the beginning come to an untimely end and I personaaly find that refreshingly different. I can therefore recommend this latest instalment [to me] with less reservation
Recommended

Smith - When the Lion Feeds.
A vast sprawling novel of high adventure set in Africa during the Zulu wars.
Nobody does it better than Wilbur Smith and this one is packed with sibling rivalry,
Rourke's Drift, ivory hunting and gold prospecting.
Superb, I have never read a single book by Wilbur Smith that I did not enjoy.
Highly recommended

Roth - Divergence.
Very disappointed with this. it's a children's book but contains some scenarios that are not suitable for children.
I suspect that the tag 'young adults' was Roth's excuse for poor writing.
Very little descriptive passages and poor character development, not recommended.
I think I now take exception to the phrase 'young adults'.
One is either a child, an adolescent, or an adult. I feel a young adult is therefore a childish adult who doesn't want difficult reading.
Just my two penneth anyway.

So I am now up to page 118 on my book of the month which is Clive Barker's - Mr. B Gone.
The archbishop had just burned the girl upside down, her hair catching fire and Mr. B having to leave because of her screams.
Barker write the entire think like black comedy to dull the horror and it works well.

Back