• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Saddest Cubicle - can anyone relate?

Leyland

Has anyone seen this on Yahoo today? Can you relate? My worst cube experience involved a 50 hour a week senior accountant's position in a cube with three-foot high walls next to the executive and marketing areas. Quietness and privacy were not to be had. I left after three months.

The winner -- if you can call it winning -- of the Wired News saddest-cubicles contest is David Gunnells, an IT guy at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. His desk is penned in by heavily used filing cabinets in a windowless conference room, near a poorly ventilated bathroom and a microwave. The overhead light doesn't work -- his mother-in-law was so saddened by his cube that she gave him a lamp -- and the other side of the wall is a parking garage. Gunnells recalls a day when one co-worker reheated catfish in the microwave, while another used the bathroom and covered the smell with a stinky air freshener. Lovely.

The winner -- if you can call it winning -- of the Wired News saddest-cubicles contest is David Gunnells, an IT guy at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. His desk is penned in by heavily used filing cabinets in a windowless conference room, near a poorly ventilated bathroom and a microwave. The overhead light doesn't work -- his mother-in-law was so saddened by his cube that she gave him a lamp -- and the other side of the wall is a parking garage. Gunnells recalls a day when one co-worker reheated catfish in the microwave, while another used the bathroom and covered the smell with a stinky air freshener. Lovely.

That sounds pitiful. I hope they got him moved somewhere better...I think it's the bathroom that does it.

Fortunately, I've never had to work in a cubicle. The closest I came was sharing a window-less office at the United States Patent Office, back when I was an examiner. All my other jobs have involved moving (laboratory, teaching) from place to place and no room for sitting in a cubicle.

Makes me think of the movie, Office Space. :D I actually prefer a cubicle to an open plan office. Less noise, and less interruptions. My last job was an open space office in which I had to sit facing my manager. No fun to be had there. :mad:

Oh yes, give me a closed cube any day. Right now we sit in halfy cubes with plexiglas windows. I can't pick my nose or scratch myself at all! And say goodbye to nail clipping at work! At least the window remains always in view.

Ugh! I've only worked in a cubicle once. I didn't mind it so much since mine was on the far side of the office in the corner. Everyone pretty much left me alone since I was out of the main pathway. Now I have a nice office with 2 desks, 2 windows and a few bookshelves which, I must admit, have nearly as many of my personal books on them as they do work-related items. I do believe I would struggle a great deal with going back to a cubicle now.

Back